EAST WING AND PORTE COCHERE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1394460

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: EAST WING AND PORTE COCHERE, PRIOR PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of EAST WING AND PORTE COCHERE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394460 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 16:20:03.

Location

Statutory Address: EAST WING AND PORTE COCHERE, PRIOR PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 76299 62960

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PRIOR PARK 656-1/67/1286 East wing and Porte Cochere (Formerly Listed as: PRIOR PARK Prior Park (now Prior Park College)) 12/06/50

GV I

School accommodation, formerly service wing to house. c1750, reconstructed and heightened c1830, modified C20. Designer possibly Richard Jones. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, slate roof. EXTERIOR: First, square plan pavilion, attached to arcaded link from main house, was former porte-cochere, part of Wood's original layout. Remainder of wing very long and shallow range, central unit raised further storey and with stone turret plus cupola. Two storeys and lower ground floor, six+three+seven windows, plus three-bay porte-cochere. Main floor windows are twelve-pane sashes, bottom half blind and painted in, all to moulded architraves and cornice, three bays to pedimented centre include Palladian central window, and modified nine-pane in plain reveals to attic. Lower ground floor brought forward, and has three central twelve-pane in stepped forward section, flanked by six to left and seven to left, all six-pane sashes. Floor fully rusticated, with deep plain two stage plinth, and plain blocking band with sixteen-panel balustrade. Entablature with modillion cornice carries across full width, and high pediment contains carved high relief, brought from Hunstrete House by Bishop Baines c1840, two small carved elliptical panels at first floor from same source. Pavilion to right has central Palladian window and blind lights, above broad arch over Diocletian window, flanked by niches, return to east also has Palladian window, modified with inserted door to steel escape staircase. Pyramidal roof, east porte-cochere entrance. Rear, south side in two storeys, ground floor has been brought forward each side of three storey centre unit. Seven modified twelve-pane sashes in plain reveals each side of centre with Palladian window flanked by twelve-pane in architraves, and attic storey with single small nine-pane and two two-light casements. Ground floor has, left, eight pairs of large steel casements, and one set back bay with original arched opening to window with stone glazing bars. To right open five-bay arcade plus two bays with margin pane sashes with arched heads, further right, set forward, unit with four C20 sashes. Centre range has pair of doors with fanlight in Tuscan doorcase, flanked by twelve-pane sashes in architraves with cornice, and with quoin pilasters, all to full entablature and deep blocking course, all stepped forward from main front. Modillion eaves course each side of centre, with entablature taken across above first floor, and high pediment below square stone turret with balustrade, carrying stone octagonal lantern with cupola. Pavilion to far left has wide arched light to ground floor, presumed to be former carriage entrance to porte-cochere. Right hand gable end has high triple parapet, incorporating flues, and two smaller single storey ranges attached, continuing line of north frontage. INTERIOR: Not inspected. HISTORY: This block was used by Allen as a place of informal residence when the stateliness of the main mansion became oppressive. It had a breakfast room, bedroom, picture gallery and hall and was thus essentially self-contained. Originally a mirror image of Wood¿s west wing, it underwent substantial alteration under Bishop Baines, when the roofline was raised by the addition of an extra storey, and the distinctly un-Palladian pediment sculpture was inserted. This wing was then called St Peter¿s College, and housed the Catholic seminary. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: London: 1980: 125-34; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 113; Mowl T and Earnshaw B: John Wood Architect of Obsession: Bath: 1988-: 1OI-118; Bryan Little, Prior Park. Its History and Description (1975).

Listing NGR: ST7629962960

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509860

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing