This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1394516



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Bath and North East Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 509914

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


PULTENEY BRIDGE 656-1/41/2442 (South side) Shops Nos 9 to 17 (consec) (Formerly Listed as: PULTENEY BRIDGE Pulteney Bridge & shops Nos 1-8 (consec) on N side & Nos 9-17 (consec) on S) 14/07/55


Shops. c1774, altered c1895, restored 1975 (plaque). By Robert Adam, for William Johnstone Pulteney. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar with Welsh slate roofs. Row of shops superimposed on bridge, separately listed (qv). PLAN: Street elevation similar to, but markedly different from that recorded by Thomas Malton in 1788. STYLE: Palladian style. EXTERIOR: Two storeys, one:five:one:four:one bays, unbalancing of design due to western pavilion being moved towards east when Grand Parade was constructed in 1895 (see photograph from Bath Chronicle). End and central bays set slightly forward, and disposition of facade largely reflects downstream elevation. Ground floor has tripartite windows in arched recesses in either pavilion, while centrepiece (14) has large Doric Venetian window set into arched recess, which breaks pediment above. Flanked by door to left and six/six sash to right, panelled apron below, panels above, blind roundels above cornice, chimney as acroterion to pediment (nearly reproduction of original Adam treatment). Timber shopfronts with thin mullions and arched lights, mostly of 1975 restoration when 1880's shop of Duck, Son and Pinker at Nos 1 and 2 was taken as model. First floor windows also date from this restoration. Here three windows flank central feature, centre of which set forward and pedimented. First floor windows are three/six sashes. Pavilions have cornice, rectangular attic window and pediment over, domed lead roofs. Main ranges have cornice, parapet, and have roof largely hidden from street, low ashlar stacks. Return elevations have shop window (No.9) with panelled band over and pediment. No.17 similar, has tripartite window to ground floor. Doric porticos which fronted pavilions and are shown in Thomas Malton's drawing of 1788 are missing. Adam's original designs preserved in Soane Museum. INTERIORS: Not inspected. Scheduled Ancient Monument. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: London: 1948-: 65; Field G: Shopfront Record, Bath City Council: 1992-; Lees-Milne J and Ford D: Images of Bath: London: 1982-; The Bath Chronicle: Images of Bath: Derby: 1994-: 41.

Listing NGR: ST7519764946

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 75197 64946


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394516 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 05:20:08.

End of official listing