GATE PIERS AT SOUTH END OF RALPH ALLEN DRIVE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394607

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: GATE PIERS AT SOUTH END OF RALPH ALLEN DRIVE, RALPH ALLEN DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATE PIERS AT SOUTH END OF RALPH ALLEN DRIVE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394607 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 10:49:09.

Location

Statutory Address: GATE PIERS AT SOUTH END OF RALPH ALLEN DRIVE, RALPH ALLEN DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 76080 62671

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RALPH ALLEN DRIVE 656-1/67/1362 Gate piers at south end of Ralph Allen Drive 11/08/72

(Formerly Listed as: RALPH ALLEN DRIVE Lodge and Gate Posts)

GV II

Pair of large gatepiers. c1740, by John Wood the Elder. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar. A pair of large piers, set each side of the Drive where it joins North Road at the top of the hill, close to Top Lodge [q.v.]. The main rusticated piers approx 1.2m square and 4m high. Moulded bases mainly concealed by later road and pavement surfaces, and wide moulded capping with double blocking course carrying very large horizontally moulded urns. Inner faces of piers have hanging stiles to modelled console heads. One of three similar pairs of remaining gate piers to the Prior Park estate. These, now without gates, have been repositioned so as to straddle road exit: the east one is probably in its original position while west one has been moved: Ralph Allen Drive was formerly a private carriage drive and acquired by Bath City Council in 1921; the road was widened using unemployed labour and re-opened as a public thoroughfare in 1922. A wooden sign high up on the eastern pier still bears the words 'Private road'. This pier also bears the letters LWP, for Lyncombe and Widcombe Parish. The spectacularly large urns were intended to display the quality of Bath stone quarried nearby in Ralph Allen's quarries and its ability to be worked on a massive scale. SOURCES: Maurice Scott, 'Discovering Widcombe and Lyncombe, Bath' (2nd ed. 1993), 72; Gillian Clarke, `Prior Park. A Compleat Landscape┬┐ (Bath 1987), 40.

Listing NGR: ST7608062671

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 510007

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing