Nos. 1-30, ROYAL CRESCENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1394736

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: 1-30, ROYAL CRESCENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of Nos. 1-30, ROYAL CRESCENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394736 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 23:32:48.

Location

Statutory Address: 1-30, ROYAL CRESCENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74483 65446

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROYAL CRESCENT 656-1/29/1427 Nos.1-30 (Consec)

Formerly Listed as: ROYAL CRESCENT Nos 1-7 (consec). No.8. Nos 9-30 (consec) 12/06/50

GV I

Thirty houses, concave semi-elliptical crescent. 1767-1775 with C20 alterations. By John Wood the Younger.

MATERIALS: Even and finely cut limestone ashlar; double pitched slate mansard roofs (originally stone-tiled) with moulded stacks to coped party walls.

PLAN: Double depth plans, slightly broadening to rear, with sundry projecting additions to rear.

EXTERIOR: A crescent some 500ft (152m.) long and nearly 50ft (15m.) tall, fronted with a procession of 114 engaged giant Ionic columns, each some 20ft (6m.) tall; columns are placed singly between bays apart from the centremost bay, which is flanked with pairs; further pairs to the corners of the end houses. The only other emphasis to the centre is an arched opening to the centre of No.16, at first floor level, and the side windows to the centrally placed door. All houses comprise three storeys with attics and basements, and mostly with three-window fronts: Nos 14-17, to centre, have four-window fronts. Continuous returned balustraded parapet, modillion cornice and frieze supported by giant order of 114 Roman Ionic engaged columns that rise from the plain ground floor plinth with platband. Unadorned rectangular door and window openings; mainly six/six-pane sash windows, many restored in recent years but some still retain Victorian plate glass intrusions; some with balconettes and blind boxes. Dormer windows to attics, generally three per front. Exterior of No.1 to right, now museum: symmetrical five-window south-facing front. Return has paired columns at quoins and wider bay to centre where steps lead up to pedimented Doric doorcase over set back six-panel door and three-pane overlight. Rear, east-facing towards Brock Street, has three blind windows to both upper floors articulated by Ionic pilasters instead of columns, attached to ground floor, No.1A Royal Crescent (qv); chimney stack above enriched with a swag-decorated panel. This is the only house in the Crescent to have had its original sill levels reinstated (in 1969). All windows are six/six sashes. Limestone plaque to Bernard Cayzer (1914-1981) within porch: his endowment made possible the opening of the museum in this house. Exterior of No.2 has fine balconettes to second floor, nine/nine-pane sash windows to first and ground floors, six/six to second floor and basement. C20 double doors with C20 inside with overlight. Now divided into five flats. William Wilberforce stayed in this house in 1798. The house was badly damaged during the 1942 Blitz. Exterior of No.3 has horned plate glass sash windows except to basement, which retains six/six sashes. C20 balconettes to second floor, early C19 six-panel door with reeded panels and lintel, and plain overlight. Now divided into flats (in 1971). Exterior of No.4 has fine early C19 balconettes and sunblind boxes to second floor, six/nine-pane sash windows to first floor, six/six windows to other floors. Similar door to No.3 with three-pane overlight. Divided into flats in 1957. Exterior of No.5 has horned plate glass sash windows except to basement, which retains six/six sash. C19 double doors and bronze plaque to Christopher Anstey, opinion maker and author of "The New Bath Guide", (1770-1805) to left of doors. Sub-divided internally. Exterior of No.6 has six/nine-pane sash windows to first floor, six/six sashes to other floors. C19 double four-panel doors with plain overlight. Exterior of No.7 similar to No.6 with circular central panels to doors and three-pane overlight. Upper part of front shows re-alignment necessitated during original building. Exterior of No.8 has horned plate glass sash windows with louvred shutters, similar doors to Nos 6 and 7 with ornamented central panels and plain overlight. Sub-divided in 1953, re-united in 2000. Exterior of No.9 has balconettes to second floor, nine/nine-pane sash windows to first and ground floors, six/six sashes to other floors; late C19 bolection moulded double three-panel doors. Overlight has fine lead ornaments, patera to crossing of diagonals through oval pane and curved wheat-ear swags to corners. Exterior of No.10 has horned plate glass sash windows except to basement, early C19 three-panel double doors with roundels in blocks to corners of reeded lower panels. Leaded overlight possibly C20. Now divided into four flats. Bronze plaque to Frederic Harrison (1831-1923). Exterior of No.11 has horned plate glass sash windows with sunblind boxes and C19 two-panel double doors with circular moulding around brass door knobs under plain overlight with curved upper corners. Bronze plaque recording the residence here of Thomas Lindley, and that the elopement of his daughter Elizabeth with Richard Brinley Sheridan took place from here in March 1772. Now (since 1948) divided into four flats. Exterior of No.12 has plate glass sash windows without horns except to basement, which retains six/six sash. Plain overlight to six-panel door. Now divided into four flats. Exterior of No.13 has C20 windows, six/nine-pane sashes to first floor, six/six sashes to other floors. six-panel door with plain overlight. Now, together with No.14, subdivided into fourteen flats. Temple-fronted coach house to rear, with two pairs of Ionic columns set in antis, carrying an entablature and pediment; single bay continuations either side. To the rear, a small Palladian garden pavilion by Wood the Younger known as The Villa. Exterior of No.14 has six/nine-panes to first floor, six/six sashes to other upper floors; horned plate glass sashes to basement and C19 double doors with circular panels and brass knobs to centre. Now combined with No.13 and sub-divided. To rear, an Ionic temple-fronted Pavilion. Exterior of No 15, part of Royal Crescent Hotel, has six/nine-pane sash windows to first floor, six/six sashes to others. Similar double doors to No.14 with margin panes and six hexagonal panes to overlight. Connecting doors with No.16 authorised in 1955, hotel use permitted in 1971. To the rear is a Neo-Georgian pavilion by William Bertram, 1983-86, known as ‘The Dower House’ (Civic Trust award 1986). Exterior of No.16, to centre, now the Royal Crescent Hotel, has six/nine-pane sash windows to first floor, six/six sashes to others. Paired columns flank bay to centre of crescent which has nine/nine-pane semicircular arched first floor window with radial glazing bars. Exterior of No.17 without horns to sash windows, nine/nine-panes to first and ground floors, six/six sashes to others. Six-panel door with plain overlight; bronze plaque to Sir Isaac Pitman (1813-1897). Now (1948, following severe 1942 bomb damage) divided into five flats. Coach house to rear: probably early C19. Three bays, doorways to each end with arched fanlights and moulded hoods, continuous imposts across outer bays; windows within moulded frames with six/six sash windows over each door; parapet cornice carried on heavy consoles; continuous parapet with openwork balustrade. Exterior of No.18 has horns to windows, six/nine-pane sashes to first floor, six/six sashes to others; late C19 bolection moulded four-panel door with moulded lintel and plain overlight. Now (since 1952) divided into seven flats. To the rear, the screen wall of the coach house facing the garden with its Georgian Gothick central door and flanking windows was restored in 1993. Exterior of No.19 has recent six/six sashes to each floor apart from the first, which has six/nine sashes. Early C19 six-panel door with inverted corners to panels and plain overlight. Now divided into four flats. Exterior of No.20 has plate glass windows without horns, six/six-pane sashes to basement, six-panel door in coved architrave and plain overlight. Now divided into three flats. Former coach house to rear: ashlar wall with cornice and parapet, arched door to centre, blind arched windows either side. Exterior of No.21 has six/nine-pane sashes to first floor, six/six sashes to other floors. six-panel door under overlight of semicircular panes enclosing three diagonal squares with concave sides. Exterior of No.22 has six/nine-pane sashes to first floor, six/six sashes to other floors. Eight-panel door under reeded lintel and overlight with large oval pane, diagonals and ornamented curved divisions at corners. Seemingly combined with No.23 internally. Exterior of No.23 has six/six-pane sash windows without horns to second floor and basement; plate glass sashes to rest. mid C19 four-panel bolection moulded door with semicircular arches to upper panels and key pattern lintel. Now (since 1971) divided into twelve units. Exterior of No.24 has six/six sashes to second floor and basement, nine/nine sashes to first, nine/twelve to ground floor. Six-panel door with reeded lintel and three-pane overlight. Now (since 1969)divided into four flats. Exterior of No.25 has plate glass windows to second floor, six/nine sashes to first, six/six to ground and basement. Key pattern lintel over double three-panel doors with circular panels and cast iron knockers to centre and five elongated hexagonal panes to overlight. Exterior of No.26 has horned plate glass sash windows but six/six-panes to Basement. Six-panel door with plain overlight and roll-edge lintel. Sun Fire Insurance Co. plaque. Now divided into five flats. Exterior of No.27 has plate glass sash windows without horns (six/six-panes to basement), fine balconettes to second floor, six-panel door with three-panel overlight. Exterior of No.28 has two/two-pane sash windows to second floor, plate glass sashes to first and ground floor, six/six-pane sashes to basement. Six-panel door with three-pane overlight and cast iron wreath knocker. Exterior of No.29 has horned plate glass sash windows to each floor; those to first floor have lozenge panels on sunblind boxes to upper floors, painted sills, six-panel door with bolection moulded upper panels and reeded lower panels. Now (since 1960) divided into five flats. Exterior of No.30, left terminal, has six/six-pane sashes to each floor apart from the first, which has horned plate glass sash windows; four bays to crescent (east) side, five to south-facing return with entrance via steps up to six-panel and overlight in pedimented Tuscan doorcase. Now (since 1960) divided into flats.

INTERIORS: Not inspected. Three were burnt out in April 1942 and reconstructed internally. Numerous houses have been converted into flats (details above). Although many have undergone internal alterations, numerous features of note remain: Ison), chimney pieces (ones in Nos. 7 and 25 are illustrated in most have central top-lit cantilevered stone stairs with wrought iron balustrades and mahogany handrails.

Interior of No.3 inspected by Bath City Council 1971. Features noted include the following. Ground floor: outer entrance hall: bracketed and modillioned cornice with eggs and darts; semi-circular arch single-glazed above architrave/transome; glazed doors with single panes of glass with semi-circular tops and bottoms. Inner entrance hall: black marbled stone Doric ¾ columns on either side of arch; timber staircase, open strings with S tread ends, three turned banisters per tread, veneered handrail, wreathed at bottom with open curtail bottom step Front room: modillion cornice with rosettes in soffit between modillions; marble chimneypiece with carved pilasters and frieze fitted in 1964. Ceiling rose with a sun flower etc. Back room: cornice as front room; 1.2m diameter rococo central rose with central sun and radiating double-curved leaves and tendrils; glazed double doors with Georgian panes to back garden; deep skirting and dado rail; French-style rococo 1.2 x 1.5m white marble chimneypiece; semi-circular-headed half-cupboarded alcoves. First floor: front room: ceiling rose as in room below, plus ring of honey-suckle and acanthus leaves; cornice as outer ground floor hall; raised panel doors; chimneypiece in situ, of ornate carved timber with carved tendrils on architrave, S-curved pulvinated frieze and supporting carved consoles at the base on either side. Back Room: elliptical arch to front room, cornice as front room, central rose as front room but coarser; plaster pilasters with corbels supporting flat soffit of wall between room and bay window; white marble chimneypiece with slender fluted and beaded half columns with waterleaf capitals, panelled frieze with carved central panel. Second floor: front room: plain ovolo/cavetto cornice, six-panel doors. Back room subdivided; plain shelf and architrave fireplace. No.3 Record by Sidney Brown 2nd July 1971: Ground Floor: Outer entrance Hall: bracketed and modillioned cornice with eggs and darts: semi-circular arch single-glazed above architrave/transome: glazed doors with single panes of glass with semi-circular tops and bottoms. Inner Entrance Hall: black marbled stone Doric ¾ columns on either side of arch: timber staircase, open strings with S tread ends, three turned banisters per tread, veneered handrail, wreathed at bottom with open curtail bottom step Front room: modillion cornice with rosettes in soffit between modillions: Marble chimneypiece with carved pilasters and frieze fitted in 1964. Ceiling rose with asun flower etc. Back room: cornice as front room: 1.2m diameter rococo central rose with central sun and radiating double-curved leaves and tendrils: glazed double doors with Georgian panes to back garden: deep skirting and dado rail: French-style rococo 1.2 x 1.5m white marble chimneypiece: semi-circular-headed half-cupboarded alcoves. First Floor: Front Room: rose as in room below plus ring of honey-suckle and acanthus leaves: cornice as outer ground floor hall: raised panel doors: chimneypiece: in situ-looking ornate carved timber with carved tendrils on architrave, S-curved pulvinated frieze and supporting carved consoles at the base on either side. Back Room: elliptical arch to front room, cornice as front room, central rose as front room but coarser: plaster pilasters with corbels supporting flat soffit of wall between room and bay window: white marble chimneypiece with slender fluted and beaded half columns with waterleaf capitals, panelled frieze with carved central panel. Second Floor: Front Room: plain ovolo/cavetto cornice, six-panel doors. Back room: subdivided: plain shelf and architrave fireplace.

Interior of No.4 inspected by Bath City Council 1981. Basement: front room: subdivided, with two plain architrave fireplace surrounds. Back room the former kitchen. Ground Floor: front hall: original cornice with brackets and lozenges between; pair of rococo gates; diamond stone paving; pair of two-panel inner Regency doors with delicate Georgian fanlight over, a lift behind one of the doors. Inner arch with scrollwork to soffit and palmette frieze to imposts. High quality wreath to foot of staircase balustrade. First Floor: front room is subdivided. North: Regency cornice with large O’s and reeding in the soffit; smaller double doors to back room; white marble fireplace with fluted pilasters and roundels and fluted frieze; Edwardian dado. Back Room: cornice and fireplace as front room; six-panel door with reeded architrave; original plaster rose. Staircase: inlaid handrail, carved tread ends, three Doric colonnettes on baluster banisters per tread. Edwardian dado. Second floor: back extension: reeded cornice; reeded Regency fireplace. Back room: original moulded ovolo and cavetto cornice; wide window with splayed box shutters; reeded door architrave with blocks with diagonal leaves. Front south: original architrave fireplace; cornice as back room; six-panel door with ovolo architrave. North front: plain Regency fireplace. Top floor: rear extension: small Regency fireplace with roundels and reeding. Back room north: Regency cornice; Regency fireplace with roundels, panelled ovolo door. Back room south: no cornice, four-panel unmoulded original door. Front room north: Regency fireplace with roundels and grate with panelled cast iron shutter-like doors. No.4 Notes by James Elliott 13th April 1981. Top floor: Rear Extension: Small Regency fireplace with roundels and reeding. Back north: Regency cornice: Regency fireplace with roundels , panel ovolo door. Back south: no cornice: four-panel unmoulded original door. Front north: Regency fireplace with roundels and grate with panelled cast iron shutter-like doors. Front south: to be restored to one room. Second Floor: Back Extension: reeded cornice: reeded Regency fireplace. Back: Original moulded ovolo and cavetto cornice: wide window with splayed box shutters: Reeded door architrave with blocks with diagonal leaves. Front south: original architrave fireplace: cornice as back room: six-panel door with ovolo architrave. North front: plain Regency fireplace. First Floor: Front room is subdivided: North: Regency cornice with large Os and reeding in the soffit: smaller double doors to back room: white marble fireplace with fluted pilasters and roundels and fluted frieze: Edwardian dado. Back Room: cornice and fireplace as front room: six-panel door with reeded architrave: original plaster rose. Staircase: inlaid handrail, carved tread ends, three Doric colonnette on baluster banisters per tread. Edwardian dado. Ground Floor: Front Hall: original cornice with brackets and lozenges between, pair of rococo gates, diamond stone paving, pair of two-panel inner Regency doors with delicate Georgian fanlight over, a lift behind one of the doors. Inner arch with scrollwork to soffit and palmette frieze to imposts. High quality wreath to foot of staircase balustrade. Basement: Front room: subdivided with two plain architrave fireplace surrounds. Back room the former kitchen.

Interior of No. 5: inspected by Bath City Council 1975-1986. Ground Floor: entrance hall: very fine fanlight with rococo plasterwork below it. Bracketed cornice. Double two-panel doors with upper panels glazed, with side panels beneath semi-circular fanlight with radiating ironwork. Front room: two windows, dado rail, panelled shutters; fine white and brown marble fireplace, panelled pilasters with leaf capitals with shallow projecting cornice over. Fine decorated ceiling over whole area; recess with elliptical arch on moulded brackets with panelled pilasters, as in hall. Back room: cornice with leaf and small corona and decorated soffit. Heavy fireplace with bolection moulded black marble fireplace. Annexe kitchen: deep coved ceiling with delicate plaster centrepiece and frieze; Doric arch to small vaulted side room. Staircase: main staircase with open treads with two banisters per tread. Original cornice with brackets alternating with lozenges. Landing with Georgian linen cupboard with one panel doors, mahogany sliding clothes trays with moulded dado over drawers with knobs. First Floor: front room: three windows with panelled shutters on architraves; six-panel door; doors to double-width opening to back room removed; white marble Edwardian fireplace; highly patterned ceiling plaster extending over the whole ceiling area with central rose with radiating anthemion etc. set in an octagon, surrounded interlocking elliptical chains of husks framing very delicate scrollwork which recurs in the corners of a square outer frame, beyond which are narrow panels of anthemion. Linked by shallow garlands of husks, the whole framed by an enriched cornice crowning a richly patterned frieze. See photograph in Ison’s The Georgian Buildings of Bath, plate 129 and description on page 193; no dado. Back Room: fireplace for front room; ceiling decoration similar to front room. Annexe: fine ceiling with deep cove, nice ceiling decoration and central rose. Second Floor: front room west: C18 cornice with small lotus leaves and frieze with very delicate rinceau scrolled tendrils with leaf enrichment; six panel ovolo doors with astragals; modern Adamesque fireplace. Front room east: original cornice, as above; marble architrave fireplace with grey/white shelf and beaded cavetto and orange/grey fascia. Back room: cornice with enriched upper cyma reversa, deep cavetto and enriched astragal and soffit band with inner astragal and small husks at the corners; C18 marble fireplace with white statuary shelf and bed moulds, panelled pilasters and moulded architrave and Sienna frieze and side panels; plaster sprays of oak leaves and acorns between rear windows. Landing corridor with segmental arches to stair well springing from original moulded imposts. Third Floor: front room west has a cavetto cornice, a possibly original marble fireplace with black mantel shelf, architrave with black cavetto and red fascia and inner astragal, cavetto and torus skirting. Back room west: good C18 marble architrave fireplace with square-edged white marble shelf and sides, Sienna fascia and white inner astragal. Back room east: four panel unmoulded door with cyma reversa architrave. No.5 inspected by Sidney Brown 19th March 1975 and 17th February 1976 and James Elliott 2nd July 1980 and 9th May 1986 Third Floor: Front west: cavetto cornice: original marble fireplace with black mantel shelf, architrave with black cavetto and red fascia and inner astragal, cavetto and torus skirting. Back west: good C18 marble architrave fireplace with square-edged white marble shelf and sides, Sienna fascia and white inner astragal. Back east: four panel unmoulded door with cyma reversa architrave Staircase: looks C18. Second Floor: Front west: C18 cornice with small lotus leaves and frieze with very delicate rinceau scrolled tendrils with leaf enrichment. Six panel ovolo doors with astragals: modern Adamesque fireplace. Front east: original cornice as above: marble architrave fireplace with grey/white shelf and beaded cavetto and orange/grey fascia. Back: cornice with enriched upper cyma reversa, deep cavetto and enriched astragal and soffit band with inner astragal and small husks at the corners: C18 marble fireplace with white statuary shelf and bed moulds, panelled pilasters and moulded architrave and Sienna frieze and side panels: plaster sprays of oak leaves and acorns between rear windows. Landing corridor with segmental arches to stair well springing from original moulded imposts. Staircase: original cornice with brackets alternating with lozenges. Landing with Georgian linen cupboard with one panel doors, mahogany sliding clothes trays with moulded dado over drawers with knobs. First Floor: Front room: three windows with panelled shutters on architraves: six panel door: doors to double-width opening to back room removed: white marble Edwardian fireplace: highly patterned ceiling plaster extending over the whole ceiling area with central rose with radiating anthemion etc. set in an octagon surrounded interlocking elliptical chains of husks framing very delicate scrollwork which recurs in the corners of a square outer frame beyond which are narrow panels of anthemion etc. Linked by shallow garlands of husks, the whole framed by an enriched cornice crowning a richly patterned frieze. See photograph in Ison’s The Georgian Buildings of Bath, plate 129 and description on page 193: no dado. Back Room: fireplace for front room: ceiling decoration similar to front room. Annexe: fine ceiling with deep cove, nice ceiling decoration and central rose. Ground Floor: Entrance Hall: very fine fanlight with rococo plasterwork below it. Bracketed cornice. Double two-panel doors with upper panels glazed, with side panels beneath semi-circular fanlight with radiating ironwork. Main staircase with open treads with two banisters per tread. Front: two windows, dado rail, panelled shutters: fine white and brown marble fireplace, panelled pilasters with leaf capitals with shallow projecting cornice over. Fine decorated ceiling over whole area: recess with elliptical arch on moulded brackets with panelled pilasters, as in Hall. Back: cornice with leaf and small corona and decorated soffit. Heavy fireplace with bolection moulded black marble fireplace. Annexe kitchen: deep coved ceiling with delicate plaster centrepiece and frieze: Doric arch to small vaulted side room.

Interior of No.6: see photograph of entrance hall and staircase in Ison, plate 121b. No.6: See photograph of entrance hall and staircase in Ison, plate 121b.

Interior of No.7: inspected by Bath City Council in 1992. Ground Floor: consent given for present fanlight over front door in 1987. Hall: original bracket cornice; dado; original staircase with two Doric colonnettes on vase banisters per tread; arch between front and back halls, its soffit enriched with scrollwork supported on Doric pilasters; floor of square Bath stone flags with slate diamonds. Front room: cornice with eggs and darts, frieze with rococo swags, original un-panelled dado; fine rococo fireplace with enriched cornice, fluted frieze with central panel with swag and two drops, egg and dart architrave, modern marble slips and egg-timer C18 iron hob grate; original six panel ovolo door with unmoulded astragals. Back room: three windows, the central one arched with Gothick interlacing tracery in head; sheets of pewter applied to the walls by Jeremy Fry in recent times; dado with ovolo panels; fireplace with Ionic columns and frieze with swags. Signs of a semi-circular arched recess in middle of centre wall. First Floor: front room: tall Greek Revival double six panel interconnecting doors, modern dado. Photograph in Ison (plate 135a) of very fine fireplace which presumably stood in this room. Back room: two windows; original cove cornice with leaf enrichment.

Interior of No.8: inspected by Bath City Council 1980. Basement: hall: stone flagged floor, staircase with Doric colonnette banisters. Front room subdivided: six panel unmoulded door. Ground Floor: Entrance Hall: subdivided. The staircase is Victorian, and a lift has been inserted. Elaborate screen in central archway with pair of doors with round headed glass panes, glass panes either side and fanlight over with panes of oval flash and plain glass. Front room: enriched modillion cornice; two windows with box shutters; four panel Victorian door; original marble fireplace with pair of porphyry and white Ionic columns supporting urns with central plaque decorated with scrollwork in frieze. Subdivided back room: early Victorian cornice, two windows with Victorian box shutters, four panel Victorian door, high early Victorian skirting. First Floor: front room (sub-divided): enriched modillion cornice; windows with original box shutters and architraves with beaded cyma reversa mouldings and two fascias; Victorian white marble fireplace with arch, panelled surrounds, carved keystone and key-pattern frieze. Back Room (sub-divided): Victorian cornice with enriched soffit, simple Victorian white marble console fireplace, Victorian box shutters and four-panel door.

No. 7 inspected by James Elliott in 1992. See photograph of late C18 white statuary marble fireplace in Ison, plate 135a. Ground Floor: consent given for present fanlight over front door in 1987 Hall: original bracket cornice: dado: original staircase with two Doric colonnette on vase banisters per tread: arch between front and back halls, its soffit enriched with scrollwork supported on Doric pilasters: square Bath stone flags with slate diamonds. Front room: cornice with eggs and darts, frieze with rococo swags, original un-panelled dado: fine rococo fireplace with enriched cornice, fluted frieze with central panel with swag and two drops, egg and dart architrave, modern marble slips and egg-timer C18 iron hob grate: original six panel ovolo door with unmoulded astragals. Back room: three windows, the central one arched with Gothick interlacing tracery in head: sheets of pewter applied to the walls by Jeremy Fry: dado with ovolo panels: fireplace with Ionic columns and frieze with swags. Signs of a semi-circular arched recess in middle of centre wall. First Floor: Front room: tall Greek revival double six panel interconnecting doors: modern dado. Photograph in Ison of very fine fireplace which presumably stood in this room. Back room: two windows: original cove cornice with leaf enrichment.

Interior of No.8: inspected by James Elliott 20th June 1980. Ground Floor: Entrance Hall: subdivided: the staircase is Victorian: there is a lift. Elaborate screen in central archway with pair of doors with round headed glass panes, glass panes either side and fanlight over with panes of oval flash and plain glass. Front room: enriched modillion cornice: two windows with box shutters: four panel Victorian door: original marble fireplace with pair of porphyry and white Ionic columns supporting urns with central plaque decorated with scrollwork in frieze. Subdivided back room: early Victorian cornice, two windows with Victorian box shutters, four panel Victorian door, high early Victorian skirting. Basement: Hall: stone flagged floor: staircase with Doric colonnette banisters. Front room subdivided: six panel unmoulded door. First Floor: Front room (sub-divided): enriched modillion cornice: windows with original box shutters and architraves with beaded cyma reversa mouldings and two fascias: Victorian white marble fireplace with arch, panelled surrounds, carved keystone and key-pattern frieze. Back Room (sub-divided): Victorian cornice with enriched soffit, simple Victorian white marble console fireplace, Victorian box shutters and four-panel door.

Interior of No.9 part-inspected by Bath City Council 1975. Basement: front room (subdivided): left hand room: has original moulded cornice, fireplace with timber surround (blocked), four panel door, cupboards with pair of single panel doors under windows. Back room sub-divided: left hand room with cornice as above, cupboard in former fireplace. Right hand room with dresser. No.9 inspected 15th September 1975. Basement: Front room (subdivided): Left hand room: original moulded cornice: Fireplace with timber surround blocked: four panel door: cupboards with pair of single panel doors under windows. Back room subdivided: left hand room: cornice as above: cupboard in former fireplace. right hand room: dresser.

Interior of No.10 inspected by Bath City Council 1973 and 1981. Thought to have been a single house until divided into flats circa 1923. Basement Back room (former kitchen): old fireplace with segmental arch and mantelpiece on consoles; smaller fireplace with range. Back extension under paved bridge to back garden: Georgian dresser with shelves which get wider as they rise, each supported on two Doric colonnettes, four drawers and four two-panel cupboard doors. Ground Floor: front room: original enriched modillion cornice; modern timber fireplace; elliptical arch to sideboard recess in spine wall with four garlands on soffit on either side of central roundel; original panelled dado. There is a photograph on the Council file showing the original fireplace with fluted frieze. Back room with modern sleeping balcony; Greek Revival cornice with leaf and scrollwork soffit. First floor: enriched modillion cornice; six panel door; semi-circular-headed niches with moulded archivolts either side of modern fireplace. Back room: cornice as front room. Second Floor: two front rooms with original moulded cornice, white marble fireplace with reeded architrave with florets on corner blocks and central panel with incised Regency style rectangle with concave corners. Back room: moulded cornice. No.10: inspected 17th January 1973 and 20th July 1981. Thought to have been a single house till divided into flats circa 1923. Ground Floor: Front room: original enriched modillion cornice: modern timber fireplace: elliptical arch to sideboard recess in spine wall with four very pretty garlands on soffit on either side of central roundel: original panelled dado. There is a photograph on the Council file showing the original fireplace with fluted frieze. Back room with modern sleeping balcony: Greek revival cornice with leaf and scrollwork soffit. First floor: enriched modillion cornice: six panel door: semi-circular-headed niches with moulded archivolts either side of modern fireplace. Back room: cornice as front room. Second Floor: two Front rooms: original moulded cornice: white marble fireplace with reeded architrave with florets on corner blocks and central panel with incised Regency style rectangle with concave corners Back room: moulded cornice: Back room (former kitchen): old fireplace with segmental arch and mantelpiece on consoles: smaller fireplace with range: Back extension under paved bridge to back garden: Georgian dresser with shelves which get wider as they rise, each supported on two Doric colonnettes, four drawers and four two-panel cupboard doors.

Interior of No.12: no inspection notes. See photograph of very fine decorative plaster ceiling in first floor front room in Ison, plate 131a. No.12: no inspection notes. First Floor: Front room: see photograph of very fine decorative plaster ceiling in Ison, plate 131a.

Interior of No.13: inspected by Bath City Council 1984. Ground Floor: entrance hall: good original cornice with alternating brackets and rosettes; plaster rope moulded panels to walls; stone flagged floor with black diamonds; Adamesque tracery in elliptical fanlight in central arch. Staircase hall: enriched modillion cornice. No staircase survives, but remains of original rope mouldings to compartment are evident. Front room: very fine coved Rococo ceiling with ornament in corners of cove; very fine rococo fireplace with supporting consoles either side and delicate scrollwork in frieze; the cornice looked as if it might be a modern replacement; panelled dado; the wall panels looked as if they might be later. First Floor: the first floors of Nos 13 and 14 have been converted into a single flat. Back room: subdivided: fine Adamesque plaster ceiling; doorcases with enriched architraves, garlands in friezes, enriched consoles and cornices and mahogany doors, one at least of which looks original; original enriched dado and skirting; Plain Regency fireplace with roundels, segmental architrave with flat central panel and reeded shelf. No.13: inspected by James Elliott 18th April 1984. Ground Floor: Entrance Hall: good original cornice with alternating brackets and rosettes: plaster rope moulded panels to walls: stone flagged floor with black diamonds: Adamesque tracery in elliptical fanlight in central arch: Staircase Hall: enriched modillion cornice: no staircase survives but remains of original rope mouldings. Front room: very fine coved rococo ceiling with rococo ornament in corners of cove: very fine rococo fireplace with supporting consoles either side and delicate scrollwork in frieze: the cornice looked as if it might be a modern replacement: panelled dado: the wall panels looked as if they might be later. First Floor: the first floors of Nos 13 and 14 have been converted into a single flat. Back room: subdivided: Fine Adamesque plaster ceiling: very pretty doorcases with enriched architraves, garlands in friezes, enriched consoles and cornices and mahogany doors, one at least of which looks original: original enriched dado and skirting: Plain Regency fireplace with roundels, segmental architrave with flat central panel and reeded shelf.

Interior of No.14 inspected by Bath City Council 1984 and 1995. Ground Floor: entrance hall subdivided; it was of two bays originally. Staircase Hall in middle of house: rope moulded plaster panels; simple torus skirting; unusual original wrought iron balustrade like a large inclined mesh with spiral scrolls top and bottom. Ground floor rooms: see photographs on Council file of leaf-enriched panelled dado and enriched window architrave with fluted dado and enriched panel mouldings. First Floor: front room: see Ison plate 128b for fine rococo ceiling and his description on page 193. Regency double doors with flat astragals in panels with elaborate key patterns in corners. Third Floor: rear attic flat: sitting room: Victorian moulded cornice, torus skirting grey-veined white marble Greek revival console fireplace. No.14: inspected by James Elliott 18th April 1984 and 9th March 1995. Ground Floor: Entrance Hall subdivided: it was of two bays originally. Staircase Hall in middle of house: rope moulded plaster panels: simple torus skirting: unusual original wrought iron balustrade like a large inclined mesh with spiral scrolls top and bottom: Ground floor rooms: see photographs on Council file of leaf-enriched panelled dado and enriched window architrave with fluted dado and enriched panel mouldings. First Floor: Front room: see Ison plate 128b for fine rococo ceiling and his description on p193. Regency double doors with flat astragals in panels with elaborate key patterns in corners. Third Floor: Rear attic flat: Sitting room: Victorian moulded cornice, torus skirting grey-veined white marble Greek revival console fireplace.

Interior of No.15. Ground Floor: Front room: see Ison p192 and plate 128a for photograph of original decorative ceiling in ground floor front room. See same, 193 and pl 127b for photograph of elaborate original decorative plaster ceiling to the first floor front (now the Duke of York Suite). The very deep frieze below the modillion cornice looks late Victorian or Edwardian and description on page 192. Now part of the Royal Crescent Hotel, and extensively restored in late 1970s by William Bertram. No. 15. the Council file has been mislaid. Ground Floor: Front room: see Ison plate 128a for photograph of original decorative ceiling and description on p192. First Floor: Front room: see Ison plate 127b for photograph of elaborate original decorative plaster ceiling and p192 for a description. The very deep frieze below the modillion cornice looks late Victorian or Edwardian.

Interior of No.16: photographs of 1990 on Council file show original dado with ovolo panels and walls panelled with enriched ovolo mouldings to ground floor front room. Open string cantilevered stone staircase to rear. Acquired by the Royal Crescent Hotel in 1978, and extensively restored by William Bertram in late 1970s. See James Crathorne, ‘The Royal Crescent Book of Bath’ (1998) for various views. No.16: see photographs of 22nd August 1990 on Council file. Ground Floor: Front room: photographs show original dado with ovolo panels and walls panelled with enriched ovolo mouldings.

No.18: The screen wall of the coach house facing the garden with its Georgian Gothick central door and flanking windows was restored in 1993.

Interior of No.19: basement only inspected by Bath City Council 1982. Front room: ceiling beam spanning front - rear in Georgian moulded casing; internal segmental arches to windows; large dresser. Centre pantry and narrow internal room probably originally part of back room. Back room with bay window; two windows and pair of French windows in plain cyma-reversa-moulded architraves and unmoulded box shutters. Back area below garden with delicate original iron balustrade with rococo enrichment of alternate balusters. No.19: Basement inspected by James Elliott 11th January 1982. Basement: Front room: Ceiling beam spanning front – rear in Georgian moulded casing: internal segmental arches to windows: large dresser. Centre pantry and narrow internal room probably originally part of back room. Back room with bay window: two windows and pair of French windows in plain cyma-reversa-moulded architraves and unmoulded box shutters. Back area below garden with delicate original iron balustrade with rococo enrichment of alternate balusters.

Interior of No.21: inspected by Bath City Council in 1987 and 1989. Ground Floor: entrance hall: cavetto and rope-moulded torus plaster panel mouldings to walls; elliptical arched opening to staircase hall supported on Doric pilasters with fanlight over double glazed doors with Regency architraves, with flowers in corner blocks. Staircase hall: Regency cornice; staircase with square banisters alternating with very delicate S-shaped wrought iron balusters incorporating palmettes. Stone paved floor with black diamond inserts. Front room: Regency cornice with Greek scrollwork and reeding in soffit; nice reproduction grey and white marble fireplace with a lady with a lyre and a cherub in the oval central panel; original six panel ovolo-moulded door in Regency architraves. Back room: sub-divided into two. Original modillion cornice; modern neo-Adamesque fireplace; oval of husks set in low modern ceiling but original cavetto and torus skirting. First Floor: landing: arch blocked with pair of Regency doors with architraves. Inner landing: Regency cornice with key pattern in soffit, egg and leaf enrichment and nice acanthus rose. Front room: enriched modillion cornice; original shutters; later picture rail and plaster panels; white marble fireplace with lady with cornucopia in panel in frieze; concealed beneath modern Sienna marbling; a pair of Regency double doors with reeded architraves and flowers on corner blocks. Back room subdivided: false ceiling with small dentil cornice, Neo-Georgian fireplace. Second Floor: front room west: coved cornice; two windows with box shutters; fireplace with Ionic marble half columns with very good cast iron egg-timer grate; three-panel cupboard doors either side; six-panel ovolo door to Landing. Front room east: Original moulded cornice as back rooms; one window; Regency cornice; modern cast iron fireplace; six panel door with architrave with two fascias. Back room west: triple windows with box shutters. Back room east: two windows with Georgian two-panel ovolo shutters. Attic: four attic rooms, two front and two back. Central stairs. Back room west: moulded Georgian cornice four-panel cyma-reversa moulded doors, plain architrave fireplace, six-panel ovolo door. Back room east: four panel door. Staircase hall: pyramidal roof light over: original staircase round central well with Doric newel and Doric colonnette banisters. No.21: inspected by JNE in 1987 and 27th June 1989. Ground Floor: Entrance Hall: cavetto and rope-moulded torus plaster panel mouldings to walls: Elliptical arched opening to staircase hall supported on Doric pilasters with fanlight over double glazed doors with Regency architraves with flowers in corner blocks. Staircase Hall: Regency cornice: staircase with square banisters alternating with very delicate S-shaped wrought iron balusters incorporating palmettes. Stone paved floor with black diamond inserts. Front room: Regency cornice with Greek scrollwork and reeding in soffit: nice reproduction grey and white marble fireplace with a lady with a lyre and a cherub in the oval central panel: original six panel ovolo-moulded door in Regency architraves. Back room: subdivided into two: original modillion cornice: poor neo-Adamesque fireplace: poor oval of husks in low modern ceiling: original cavetto and torus skirting: First Floor: Landing: arch blocked with pair of Regency doors with architraves: Inner Landing: nice Regency cornice with key pattern in soffit, egg and leaf enrichment and nice acanthus rose. Front room: enriched modillion cornice: original shutters: later picture rail and plaster panels: white marble fireplace with lady with cornucopia in panel in frieze, some unfortunate Sienna marbling: pair of Regency double doors with reeded architraves and flowers on corner blocks. Back room: subdivided: false ceiling with small dentil cornice: neo-Georgian fireplace. Second Floor: Front room west: cove cornice: two windows with box shutters: fireplace with Ionic marble half columns with very good cast iron egg-timer grate: three-panel cupboard doors either side: six-panel ovolo door to Landing. Front room east: Original moulded cornice as back rooms: one window: Regency cornice: modern cast iron fireplace: six panel door with architrave with two fascias. Back room west: triple windows with box shutters. Back room east: two windows with Georgian two-panel ovolo shutters. Attic: four attic rooms, two front and two back: central stairs. Back room west: Moulded Georgian cornice: four panel cyma-reversa moulded doors: plain architrave fireplace. Six-panel ovolo door. Back room east: four panel door. Staircase Hall: Pyramidal roof light over: original staircase round central well with Doric newel and Doric colonnette banisters. No.21: this has been fully recorded by the Bath Preservation Trust survey of interiors. This reports the survival of a cantilevered top-lit open well stair with stone steps, cast iron balusters with S-scroll and lyre decoration, and a mahogany handrail; outer hall with stone flagged floor with slate dots; dentil cornice with leaf and rosette decoration. Inner hall with Greek revival plasterwork and reeded door surrounds, indicating a subsequent, post-1800 campaign of redecoration. Front room with plaster panels to walls; reeded ceiling; panelled shutters; six-panel doors within reeded architraves; fireplace replaced. Ground floor rear room now kitchen: six-panel doors, panelled shutters, cornice as in outer hall. Basement converted to flat but retains wine cellar. First floor landing with Greek Revival plasterwork to ceiling; drawing room to front has marble fireplace (probably early C19) with relief of an allegorical figure of Plenty, reclining with a cornucopia; modillion cornice; early C19 fluted door surrounds with square rosettes; six-panel double doors. Bedrooms to rear altered, later bathroom extension at back. Second floor with two bedrooms to front and rear: larger front room has a marble fireplace with Ionic columns either side of early basket grate with iron surround; six-panel doors, panelled inbuilt cupboards and shutters to rooms. Wooden staircase with turned columns leads to attic, with two rooms to front and back retaining panelled doors and a stone surround fireplace to rear.

Interior of No.22 inspected by Bath City Council 1988. Basement: front room: two windows with segmental arches, three fireplace openings, six panel unmoulded door. Back room now subdivided: east room: plain fireplace. West: original ovolo-moulded glazing bars in window sashes. Two more rooms in an extension under paved terrace. Ground Floor: Entrance hall: modillion cornice, dado and big original cavetto and torus skirting; central elliptical arch on Doric pilasters with fanlight and glazed double doors; back corridor to garden. Staircase hall in middle of house: C18 stone staircase with square banisters and central well with lift installed early C20 by Lady Noble in order to entertain Queen Mary to tea on the first floor. Front room: enriched modillion cornice with central rococo acanthus leaf rose: torus and cavetto plaster mouldings to divide walls into panels; enriched mahogany door; original window shutters; fine white marble Greek revival fireplace with capitals with anthemia and delicate volutes said to come from one of the Greek Revival houses on the west side of Queen Square; unpanelled dado. Back room: modillion cornice, six-panel enriched mahogany door. First Floor: central landing: enriched modillion cornice. Front room: modillion cornice, no dado, boxed ovolo shutters; C18 grey veined white marble fireplace with egg and dart in eared architrave and carved frieze, Victorian mahogany door. Back room: enriched modillion cornice; good Greek revival white marble fireplace with columns either side of opening and a panel of Grecian ornament in the frieze. Second Floor: staircase hall: C18 octagonal glazed lantern over with rococo rose in middle. Front rooms with plain moulded C18 cornices. West room: two windows, very good original fireplace with dentil cornice and central panel in frieze with young man and a lion. East room: early C19 painted fireplace. Back rooms: west room: cornice as front rooms, two windows, coved cornice, original skirting, original fireplace with garlands, bows and leaves in frieze; original six-panel doors. One bay east room: original cornice and six panel doors. Third Floor: attic staircase with original Doric colonnette banisters. Two front and three back rooms: West front room with segmental plaster barrel vaulted ceiling. No.22: two descriptions by JNE, one dated 20th December 1988 Basement: Front room: two windows with segmental arches: three fireplace openings: six panel unmoulded door. Back room subdivided: East: plain fireplace. West: original ovolo-moulded glazing bars in window sashes. Two more rooms in an extension under paved terrace. Ground Floor: Entrance hall: modillion cornice, dado and big original cavetto and torus skirting: central elliptical arch on Doric pilasters with fanlight and glazed double doors: back corridor to garden: Staircase hall in middle of house: C18 stone staircase with square banisters and central well with lift installed by Lady Noble in order to entertain Queen Mary to tea on the first floor. Front room: enriched modillion cornice with central rococo acanthus leaf rose: torus and cavetto plaster mouldings to divide walls into panels: enriched mahogany door: original window shutters: fine white marble Greek revival fireplace with capitals with anthemia and delicate volutes said to come from one of the Greek revival houses on the west side of Queen Square: unpanelled dado. Back room: modillion cornice: six-panel enriched mahogany door. First Floor: Central landing: enriched modillion cornice: Front room: modillion cornice, no dado, boxed ovolo shutters: C18 grey veined white marble fireplace with egg and dart in eared architrave and carved frieze, Victorian mahogany door. Back room: enriched modillion cornice: good Greek revival white marble fireplace with columns either side of opening and a panel of Grecian ornament in the frieze. Second Floor: Staircase hall: C18 octagonal glazed lantern over with rococo rose in middle. Front rooms with plain moulded C18 cornices: West room: two windows: Very good original fireplace with dentil cornice and central panel in frieze with young man and a lion. East room: early C19 painted fireplace. Back rooms: west room: cornice as front rooms: two windows, coved cornice, original skirting, original fireplace with garlands, bows and leaves in frieze: original six-panel doors. One bay east room: original cornice and six panel doors. Third Floor: Attic staircase with original Doric colonnette banisters. Two front and three back rooms: West front room: segmental plaster barrel vaulted ceiling. No.22: interior recorded by Bath Preservation Trust survey of interiors. Stone floor to hall with slate dots. Cantilevered top-lit open well stair with stone steps, cast iron balusters two per tread, later floral scrolled post at foot; lift said to have been installed in 1932 for visits of Queen Mary. Dining room to ground floor front with plaster panels to walls, dentil cornice with rosettes and acanthus decoration, early C19 white marble fireplace, six-panel mahogany door, panelled shutters. Ground floor rear now a kitchen, with dentil cornice and ceiling rose, moulded achitraves, six-panel mahogany door, panelled shutters. Drawing room to first floor with modillion cornice and ceiling rose; grey-veined marble fireplace, probably original, with egg and dart moulding on inner border and central relief panel of white marble with eagle crest in oval, set between rosettes; six-panel door, five-panel shutters. First floor rear now a bedroom with dressing room attached: same cornice as dining room; white marble early C19 fireplace with splayed-base columns and foliate relief to centre; six-panel door, five-panel split shutters. Second floor has two bedrooms with adjoining dressing rooms, now bathrooms: moulded plaster cornices, painted wooden fireplace surrounds with composition mouldings: relief of reclining figure with lion beneath dentil cornice to front room, Adamesque ribbon and husk ornament to rear room.

Interior of No.23 inspected by Bath City Council 1970. See photograph of staircase in Ison, plate 122a. Ground Floor: front room: fine cornice and ceiling rose; fine fireplace. Back room subdivided: oval ceiling rose; good white marble fireplace with fluted pilasters and frieze; mezzanine sleeping area. First Floor: staircase landing: cornice, oval rose and wall panels to match front room’s. Front room: cornice with leaf scrollwork between modillions; central rose with radiating leaves; walls panelled with plaster bead mouldings; opening to back room with architrave matching those to landing door and windows; crude modern fireplace; double glazed doors to back room slide into thickness of wall. Back room: mezzanine, small cornice, small white marble fireplace. Second floor: front rooms: that to left has 1 window, small cornice. To right, two windows, white marble fireplace inlaid with green black marble in Grecian style with urns. Back rooms: to left of three bays with simple cornice, grey marble fireplace with part-fluted columns. Third floor: back rooms as below floors; no features of note. No.23: inspected by S.W.Brown 31st December 1970. See photograph of staircase in Ison, plate 122a. Ground Floor: Front room: fine cornice: ceiling rose: fine fireplace. Back room: subdivided: oval ceiling rose: good white marble fireplace with fluted pilasters and frieze: mezzanine sleeping area. First Floor: Staircase landing: cornice, oval rose and wall panels to match front room’s: Front room: cornice with leaf scrollwork between modillions: central rose with radiating leaves: walls panelled with plaster bead mouldings: opening to back room with architrave matching those to landing door and windows: crude modern fireplace: double glazed doors to back room slide into thickness of wall. Back room: mezzanine: small cornice: small white marble fireplace. Second floor: Front rooms: left: one window: small cornice, right: two windows: white marble fireplace inlaid with green black marble in Grecian style with urns. Back rooms: left: three bay: simple cornice: grey marble fireplace with part-fluted columns. Third floor: back rooms as below.: no features of note.

Interior of No.24: partly inspected by Bath City Council 1984. See plan in Ison, p112. First Floor: front room sub-divided, with Edwardian cornice, enriched window architraves and shutters, very fine original white marble fireplace with central panel carved with donkeys. Back room has bow window:; original cornice with eggs and darts over cove ornamented with acanthus leaves; original plain white marble fireplace with richly figured Sienna marble fascia and C18 cast iron egg timer hob grate. No.24: part inspection by JNE 5th June 1984. See plan in Ison, p112. First Floor: Front room: subdivided: Edwardian cornice: enriched window architraves and shutters: very fine original white marble fireplace with central panel carved with donkeys. Back room: has bow window: original cornice with eggs and darts over cove ornamented with acanthus leaves: original plain white marble fireplace with richly figured Sienna marble fascia and C18 cast iron egg timer hob grate.

Interior of No.25: see Ison, plate 136a, for photograph of late C18 wood and compo fireplace. No.25: see Ison, plate 136a, for photograph of late C18 wood and compo fireplaces.

Interior of No.27: partly inspected by Bath City Council in 1985 & 1987. No.27 is now linked to No.28. Ground Floor: front room: modillion cornice, window shutters and architraves removed, Regency fireplace with corner roundels. Main staircase: high quality rococo frieze over door to top landing extension, probably from a fireplace. Walls panelled with reeded and cavetto plaster mouldings with ribbons; good cove cornice on first floor; early C19 square banisters with nice ironwork on landings. First Floor: front room: photograph shows fireplace with anthemion and palmettes painted on frieze which has central panel with shallow draped urn and tapering pilasters either side of architrave with upper roundels and flutes, their lower third filled with convex reeds. Back room intact. Third Floor: front room east: four panel unmoulded door, beaded skirting. Front room west: original stone unmoulded architrave fireplace with Edwardian grate. Back room east: same door and skirting. Back room west: bay window, timber fireplace, same door and architrave. Attic staircase: very delicate original stair with Doric newel and mahogany handrail with Doric colonnette banisters. No.27: part inspections by JNE dated 14th June 1985 & 12th February 1987 and undated: No.27 is linked to No.28. Third Floor: Front east: four panel unmoulded door: beaded skirting. Front west: original stone unmoulded architrave fireplace with Edwardian grate. Back east: same door and skirting. Back west: bay window: timber fireplace: same door and architrave. Attic staircase: very delicate original stair with Doric newel and mahogany handrail with Doric colonnette banisters. Main staircase: high quality rococo frieze over door to top landing extension, probably from a fireplace. Walls panelled with reeded and cavetto plaster mouldings with ribbons: Good cove cornice on first floor: early C19 square banisters with nice ironwork on landings. First Floor: Front room: photograph shows fireplace with anthemion and palmettes painted on frieze which has central panel with shallow draped urn and tapering pilasters either side of architrave with upper roundels and flutes, their lower third filled with convex reeds. Ground Floor: Front room: modillion cornice: window shutters and architraves removed: Regency fireplace with corner roundels. Back room: intact.

Interior of No.28: partly inspected by Bath City Council 1984. Basement: Back room: original ovolo sashes. Ground Floor: front room with good modillion cornice; Back room: good modillion cornice with rosettes, windows with box shutters, original doors. Staircase: half the original staircase survives: it has stone steps and its original handrail. First Floor: front room: a Council photograph of 1990 shows an original-looking entablature with enriched frieze, walls with unpanelled dado and plaster panel mouldings and windows with two-panel box shutters; modillion cornice; fine early C19 fireplace with waterleaf capitals; early C19 shutters with rosettes in borders. Back room: cornice as front; early C19 French windows with fanlights with crossed glazing bars; early C19 white marble fireplace. Third Floor: front room east with four panel door with cyma-reversa-moulded single fascia beaded architrave; good C18 fireplace with cyma-moulded stone architrave, moulded cornice and iron grate fitted with iron doors to keep the fire in. Back east: window with cyma reversa architrave and two-panel ovolo shutters on deep beaded sill; Back room west: early C19 plain slate fireplace. No.28: part inspection dated 4th February 1984 and another undated: Third Floor: Front east: four panel door with cyma-reversa-moulded single fascia beaded architrave. Nice C18 fireplace with cyma-moulded stone architrave, moulded cornice and iron grate fitted with iron doors to keep the fire in. Back east: window with cyma reversa architrave and two-panel ovolo shutters on deep beaded sill. Back west: early C19 plain slate fireplace. Staircase: half the original staircase survives: it has stone steps and its original handrail. First Floor: Front room: a Council photograph taken 30th November 1990 shows an original-looking entablature with enriched frieze, walls with unpanelled dado and plaster panel mouldings and windows with two-panel box shutters. Modillion cornice: fine early C19 fireplace with waterleaf capitals: early C19 shutters with rosettes in borders. Back room: cornice as front: early C19 French windows with fanlights with crossed glazing bars; early C19 white marble fireplace. Ground Floor: Front room: good modillion cornice: Back room: good modillion cornice with rosettes: windows with box shutters: original doors. Basement: Back room: original ovolo sashes.

No.29: Inspections by SWB on 14th September 1977 and JNE on 18th May 1979. Ground Floor: Entrance Hall: small outer lobby: modillion cornice and plaster panels to walls: half-round arch with fanlight with cobweb tracery over full width pair of doors half-glazed with bevelled glass panes. Main inner hall: modillion cornice: plaster rope mouldings to walls: plain dado: Bath stone floor paving with pennant stone diamond inserts on the diagonal: six-panel doors to ground floor rooms with double centre muntins to imitate pairs of doors and flat astragals to panels: fluted pilasters support central moulded semi-circular arch with thirteen square coffers in soffit. Front room: enriched modillion cornice: enriched architraves, dado rail, shutter and door panel mouldings: modern fireplace. Back room: subdivided: enriched modillion cornice: leaf and honeysuckle flower ceiling rose: Fine white and coloured marble fireplace with brown/grey Ionic ¾ columns with white paterae to raised frieze over, shallow urn carved on raised plaque in middle of frieze and architrave, rest of frieze fluted. When JNE visited on 18th May 1979 this was to be moved to the first floor front drawing room to replace a neo-Adamesque one. Staircase: stone with moulded soffit, veneered mahogany handrail on two square banisters per tread ramped at landings: fine decorative wall plaster over, garlands at sides of window to half landing: the panel over the window incised with 'T. R. GOUGH', possibly the name of the plasterer. Back addition: a panelled closet with cupboards with rounded corners and horizontal and vertical guilloche pattern between the panelled doors. Italianate round-arched Victorian conservatory at end. First Floor: Front room: enriched modillion cornice, heavily decorated ceiling with oval centrepiece, four panels, garlands at corners and round centrepiece. Regrettable modern timber panel mouldings to walls. Back room: subdivided: enriched modillion cornice: ceiling rose ornamented with leaf and honeysuckle: heavily ornamented white marble fireplace. Second Floor: there is the moulding of an elliptical arch either side of entrance door. Small front room: plain moulded cornice: simple architrave fireplace. Large front room: cornice as above: plain six-panel door between rooms: fireplace with stone architrave with timber moulding. Back room: moulded cornice as above: bay window: white marble fireplace as on first floor: Staircase landing: unenriched modillion cornice: plaster rope mouldings to walls of staircase and landing.

No.30: partially inspected on 19th July 1976, 21st November 1977, 23rd December 1982, 1989 and 17th July & 10th October 1990. Basement: Front east: original enriched architrave fireplace. Front west: small fireplace on splayed chimneybreast with enriched moulded architrave: four-panel doors with cyma-moulded single fascia architraves: original twelve pane sash window with 20mm thick ovolo and fillet glazing bars. Large north west room - possibly original kitchen: Victorian 6inch black and white terracotta tiles on floor: unmoulded stone fireplace surround. South west rear kitchen extension: a later addition. First floor: four-bay east room, now subdivided: modillion cornice with very deep late Victorian or Edwardian embossed anaglypta frieze: very fine original decorative plaster ceiling with octagonal centre panel and ovals either side framing elaborate sprays of naturalistic leaves on entwined branches: plaster panel mouldings on the walls look later: no dado: very fine marble fireplace with white Ionic columns, architrave and cornice and central white marble plaque carved with Zeus with an eagle and a thunderbolt on a cloud set against Sienna marble background. Central landing: elliptical vault over front hall below: Venetian window opening to original stone staircase South west corner room: subdivided into four: white marble Regency fireplace. North west room: pretty decorative plaster ceiling with central roundel of twigs with two birds and palms in the corners and rococo cartouches over the centre of the reeded border. Venetian rear windows: original white and sienna marble fireplace: panelled dado. Staircase: rectangular lantern over with three-pane high glazed lights on three sides: cornice and panelled ceiling. No.30: interior partly recorded by Bath Preservation Trust. Entrance screen to hall carried on slender Doric columns and pilasters with foliate capitals; plaster panels to walls; stone flagged floor with slate dots. Cantilevered stone stair, twisted banisters, broad hand rail, large columnar newel post. This was formerly the home of Edward James, patron and associate of the Surrealist movement.

ROYAL CRESCENT INTERIORS. Bibliography: Walter Ison: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: 1st edition 1948. Mowbray A. Green: The Eighteenth Century Architecture of Bath: 1904.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Uniform cast iron railings in front of deep, broad areas; raised roadway and pavement in front, the road with original Pennant stone setts surviving along the full frontage, itself a survival of very special interest; cast iron railings on lawn side of road set into stone kerb. In front of lawn is a ha-ha [q.v. under Royal Victoria Park], faced with roughly squared blocks of stone.

HISTORY: The most famous architectural set-piece in Georgian town architecture, and a mile-stone in town planning. The Crescent is remarkable for its scale, its geometric sophistication, its architectural subtlety, its relationship with the open landscape, its novelty and its subsequent influence. This was the first proper crescent of terraced houses, and the first such row to be left open, looking beyond the city: it initially enjoyed a rural southerly prospect towards the River Avon, and is a supreme example of 'rus in urbe'. Wood leased the former pastureland site in December 1766 from Sir Benet Garrard: the first stone was laid in mid-May 1767. The first house, and the model for the rest, to the façade of which individual builders were obliged to conform, was No.1, completed in 1769: this was built for Thomas Brock, Wood's co-lessee. There is a slight alteration in curvature of the crescent, visible in the roof-line of No.7, begun in 1767. Most of the houses were finished by 1774; all were finally occupied by September 1778. Several of the houses suffered badly from incendiary bombs in April 1942, which gutted three interiors: No.8 was not listed until 14th July 1955.

SOURCES: Walter Ison, 'The Georgian Buildings of Bath' (2nd ed. 1980), 148-51 etc.; John Summerson, 'Architecture in Britain 1530-1830' (7th ed. 1983), 392-94; Christopher Pound, 'Genius of Bath' (1986), passim.; J. Crathorne, 'The Royal Crescent Book of Bath' (1998), passim.

Listing NGR: ST7448365446

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 510140

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing