7-10, ST GEORGE'S PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394827

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: 7-10, ST GEORGE'S PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 7-10, ST GEORGE'S PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 15:48:14.

Location

Statutory Address: 7-10, ST GEORGE'S PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74334 65021

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST GEORGE'S PLACE 656-1/29/1537 Nos.7-10 (Consec)

(Formerly Listed as:UPPER BRISTOL ROAD St George's Place Nos 7-10 (consec))

05/08/75

GV II

Four terrace houses, two now shops. c1790. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, single pitched double Roman tile mansard roofs with one dormer and moulded stacks to the coped party wall to the right of each house. PLAN: Double depth plans. EXTERIOR: Three storeys and attics, each house has two-window front. Continuous coped parapet and cornice, paired windows to upper floors, doors to left of each house. No.7 to left, painted to ground floor, has C20 door and two/two-pane sash windows. No.8 has plate glass sash windows and C20 door and shop. No.9 has plate glass sash windows, that to ground floor with splayed reveals, and C19 five-panel door. Upper floors of No.10 similar to No.9, painted ground floor has 1895 shop by C Wibley with dentil cornice to fascia, panelled pilasters, and overlight to C20 door. INTERIORS: Not inspected. That of No.9 is reported as having panelled partition walls and surviving six-panel doors; that of No.10 retains similar partitions and a stair with a Doric column newel post. EXTERIORS: No.10: rear extension added 1962. No.14: New shop front by Graham Finch, 1988. No.16: Shop front inserted 1896 by R.W. Cantle. INTERIORS: Not inspected. Earlier site notes record the following features inter alia: No.7: rooms with panelling up to dado rail, cornices, chimneypieces, wooden stair with Doric column rails (1980). No.8: close string stair (1974). No.9: Rococo consoles to arch in ground floor passage; wooden stair with Doric column posts; cornice and panelled floors to first floor (1974). No.10: cornice to ground floor back room. No.12: archway in ground floor passage with corbels; close string stair; plaster ceiling rose to first floor front room, original chimney pieces to first and second floor back rooms. No.13: now a funeral parlour, much altered; some cornices on upper floors. No.14: much original joinery survives, including doors, dado rails, cornices, staircase with Doric newel posts and rails. No.15: modillion cornice to ground floor front room. Nos.17-18: interiors altered. Some cornices in situ. HISTORY: The leases for these houses are dated September 29th 1788. Council Shopfront Record (1992). St James's Parade, originally Thomas Street, was the centrepiece of a development from 1765 onwards by Richard Jones, Thomas Jelly and Henry Fisher who were granted liberty in September 1765 to 'pull down the Boro' walls next to the Ambry gardens in order to build new houses there'. The street was closed off with bollards at each end, and the houses fronted a broad paved walk in place of the road. The elevations, attributed to Thomas Jelly and John Palmer, show the influence of John Wood the Younger's work elsewhere, as in Rivers Street. The houses were mainly built in c.1768. Following bomb damage in the area, extensive clearance and redevelopment has taken place. St James's Parade, after an uncertain period, was reprieved. SOURCE: Bath City Council planning file. Walter Ison, 'The Georgian Buildings of Bath' (2nd ed 1980), 151-2.

Listing NGR: ST7433465021

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 510234

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing