Details
WESTGATE BUILDINGS
656-1/40/1837 (East side)
Nos.27 AND 28 Chandos House (Formerly Listed as:
CHAPEL COURT
Chandos House)
12/06/50 GV II* Large house, part of the St John's Hospital complex. 1726-1730, but by John Wood the Elder.
MATERIALS: Fine ashlar, slate roof.
PLAN: L-plan house attached to No.5, Chapel Court (qv).
EXTERIOR: Three lofty floors, with attic and basement, and has principal front to left, facing north, in five bays. Windows are twelve-pane sashes in moulded architraves, to sill band and with frieze and straight cornice at first floor, and in splays to basement areas, in rubble walling, at street end also second basement level approached by straight stone stair. Four small hipped dormers with two-light small-pane casements in the high mansard roof. Central tall six-panel door with transom light three steps, with railings returned across basement areas each side. Stack to left end, adjacent building steps forward. Above ground floor platband, with, in fine incised Roman lettering to left, `ST JOHN'S HOSPITAL', and, right, `CHANDOS BUILDINGS'. Modillion cornice on pulvinated frieze, with low blocking course and parapet. Street front in five-bays, with three dormers, all detailed as entrance facade, but including two blind windows to left at first floor, and with two lights with decorative iron grilles at basement level in plinth. To left deep ridge stack, and another to right gable, which returns in squared rubble. To rear, facing into Chapel Court splayed wall with sash, five storey section with various plain sashes, end of main range has blank sunk panels, at ground floor panel has in incised Roman lettering, `CHAPEL COURT'.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
HISTORY: Re Ison, `The buildings (of St John's Hospital).... together with the adjacent Chandos Buildings, were John Wood's first considerable works in Bath ... in their scale and character they are superior to any of the buildings immediately preceding them'. The 1st Duke of Chandos was actively involved in edge-of-town development in Bath and used Wood as his architect to develop the grounds of St John's Hospital. Recent research (Mowl and Earnshaw, p.32) suggests that this house post- dates the initial period of development and is actually of c.1740: the inscribed name identifying it with Chandos's adjoining development may be a later addition. The building has been used by the Salvation Army in recent years.
SOURCES: Walter Ison, 'The Georgian Buildings of Bath' (2nd ed. 1980), 113-15; Tim Mowl and Brian Earnshaw, 'John Wood Architect of Obsession' (Bath 1988), Ch.2.
Listing NGR: ST7489864681
Legacy
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number:
511048
Legacy System:
LBS
End of official list entry
Print the official list entry