RAILWAY VIADUCT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1400090
Date first listed:
22-Nov-2011
Statutory Address:
RAILWAY VIADUCT, FANCY BANK, SLAPEWATH

Map

Ordnance survey map of RAILWAY VIADUCT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1400090.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 08:06:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
RAILWAY VIADUCT, FANCY BANK, SLAPEWATH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Guisborough
National Grid Reference:
NZ6364215839

Summary

A mid C19 railway viaduct on the Cleveland railway for Sir Lowthian Bell and Ralph Ward Jackson, constructed to carry iron ore from their inland mines to Bell's ironworks on Teesside. The Cleveland Railway was subsequently amalgamated with the North Eastern Railway (NER) network in c. 1863 and was last used in 1960.

Reasons for Designation

This mid C19 disused railway viaduct is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Date: as a mid-C19 railway viaduct it dates from the third important phase of railway development from the 1850s to the 1870s, and pre-dates the lower quality and more standardised forms present after c. 1860. * Architectural: It is a striking and attractive structure with strong aesthetic quality and design * Historical: for its association with Sir Lowthian Bell and Ralph Ward Jackson and its influence on the development of the Teesside Iron industry * Intactness: although disused, it is an intact example

History

This viaduct was constructed between 1858 and 1862 as part of the former Cleveland Railway. The railway was specifically constructed by Sir Lowthian Bell and Ralph Ward Jackson to carry raw material from Bell and Jackson’s inland ironstone mines, such as Spa Wood Mine, to Bell’s ironworks at Port Clarence on the River Tees. Its construction was opposed by the Stockton and Darlington Railway who wished to maintain a monopoly south of the Tees; the rivalry between the two railway companies led to parliamentary involvement resulting in each company being allowed to develop part of their original schemes in the region. For Bell, the construction of the Cleveland railway was part of a wider transport strategy, which eventually allowed him to control his own supplies of coal, ironstone and limestone free of freight charges. The line was therefore influential in the development of the iron industry on Teeside. The Cleveland Railway was subsequently amalgamated with the North Eastern Railway (NER) network in c. 1863 and was last used in 1960. Sir Lowthian Bell has an entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography and was a prominent iron and steel manufacturer and a respected world authority and publisher on blast-furnace technology. Ralph Ward Jackson, who is also entered in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, was an important railway promoter and entrepreneur.

Details

Viaduct, 1858-1862, for the Cleveland Railway .

MATERIALS: constructed of rock-faced sandstone with dressed sandstone to the undersides of the arches; iron ties and railings.

DESCRIPTION: the viaduct carries a disused railway over Spa Gill and comprises eight semi-circular arches a maximum of 18.3m (60ft) high, each carried on pairs of tapered piers. There is a low stone parapet with remains of plain cast iron railings and rectangular and lozenge shaped iron tie-ends.

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/02/2012

Sources

Books and journals
Harrison, B J D, Dixon, G, Guisborough Before 1900, (1981)
Websites
Ralph Ward Jackson, accessed from http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/37591
Sir (Isaac) Lowthian Bell, accessed from http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/30690

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].