SEDBERGH WAR MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1400659
Date first listed:
27-Oct-2011
Statutory Address:
FINKLE STREET, SEDBERGH, SOUTH LAKELAND, CUMBRIA

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1400659.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Apr-2021 at 12:45:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
FINKLE STREET, SEDBERGH, SOUTH LAKELAND, CUMBRIA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Sedbergh
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SD6575092039

Summary

An elegant First World War memorial with Second World War additions, designed by Sir John, Hubert Worthington, an old Sedberghian and Principal Architect of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. It is situated in a paved area within the south east corner of St Andrew's Churchyard and can be accessed from the street, via a gated entrance through the churchyard wall.

Reasons for Designation

* Historic Interest: It is an eloquent witness to the impact of tragic world events on this community; * Artistic: It is an elegant memorial of understated character; * Designer: it was designed by Sir John Hubert Worthington, an Old Sedberghian and Principal Architect of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

.

History

Sedbergh War Memorial was designed by Sir John Hubert Worthington (1886-1963), an Old Sedberghian and the Principal Architect of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, at a cost of £304 5s 9p (£304.29p). The unveiling ceremony took place on 12 December 1920 and was performed by Brigadier General North, CB, MVO. In the late 1940s polished stone tablets were fixed to the base of the cross shaft and were inscribed with the names of the fallen from the Great War. Those names were originally inscribed on the sandstone base and were revealed when the tablets were removed for renovation in 2009. The names of the fallen from the Second World War were inscribed on the north and south faces of the stone plinth, also in the late 1940s.

Details

MATERIALS: sandstone with limestone tablets attached to the base.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of a simple cross on a slender 2m high tapered shaft with stop-chamfered corners. The bottom of the cross shaft's east face is inscribed with the words LAUS / DEO. The cross is set on a square base which in turn is set upon a larger square plinth.The inscription on the east face of the base reads:

REMEMBER THE MEN / of SEDBERGH TOWN who / COUNTING NOT their LIVES / DEAR unto THEMSELVES DIED / for FREEDOM and COUNTRY / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 - 1919.

The other tablets affixed to the base are inscribed with the 40 names of The Fallen of Sedbergh and the north and south faces of the plinth are inscribed with the names of 19 men who fell in the Second World War.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 3 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
Sir (John) Hubert Worthington (1886-1963), accessed from http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/65161/37029
War Memorials Online, accessed 3 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/121993
War Memorials Register, accessed 3 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/469

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].