This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Aston Council Chamber

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Aston Council Chamber

List entry Number: 1405553

Location

Aston Library, Aston Council Chamber, Witton Road and Albert Road, Aston, Birmingham

Aston Library, Aston Council Chamber Albert Road, Birmingham, B6 5NQ

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Birmingham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jan-2012

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Library and council offices of 1881 designed by the Birmingham architect William Henman, in a loosely Jacobean style.

Reasons for Designation

The Council Chamber, Albert Road, Aston, a local government building of 1880 designed by William Henman, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural: the building is a prominent example of a civic structure by a noted architect, William Henman, which is designed to impress by its external and internal architecture.

Intactness: despite some minor alteration, the building retains all the essentials of its original plan and a high proportion of its original fittings.

History

Aston Council Chamber was designed by William Henman. The initial intention was that it should house the offices associated with the Public Works Committee for the Manor of Aston, which had between 50,000 and 60,000 residents by the late-1870s. A perspective drawing and plan of the intended building were published in The Builder for October 4 1879 (see Sources) and these show a slightly larger building with a prominent central tower to the Witton Road front and end pavilions to the fronts on both Witton Road and Albert Road. The plan shows that the ground floor was intended to house the Sanitary officers, Medical Officer, Building Surveyor and two rate collection rooms, with a large drawing office for the surveyors at the corner, where the two wings meet. The first floor was intended to have a large Board Room, above the surveyors drawing office, with ante-chambers, clerks’ rooms and committee rooms to either wing. The plan records the building ‘in Progress of Execution’, and although the function of the first floor, housing the board room and its ancillary offices, appears to have been executed as planned, economies meant that the ground floor was adapted to house the borough library, which had been intended for a separate building. The surveyors’ department was moved to the first floor and occupied the intended committee rooms and the ground floor corner was adapted to house the library, with a new entrance on the Witton Road front.

The foundation stone was laid in August 1880 and the date on the weather vane over the octagonal turret is 1881, which would seem to mark the completion of construction work. The Birmingham Daily Post for 3rd January 1882 (see Sources) reported that the first meeting of the board was due to be held that day. The Manor of Aston was amalgamated into the city of Birmingham in 1911. The building continued to function as a library and civic offices throughout the C20. Library fittings have been removed, but the building has been little altered otherwise since its completion. The building was vacated late in 2011.

Details

Library and council offices of 1881 designed by the Birmingham architect William Henman, in a loosely Jacobean style.

MATERIALS: red brick, laid in Flemish bond, with dressings of stone and moulded brick and a plain tiled roof.

PLAN: two stories with attic and basement. The ground floor library was entered from Witton Road, while other ground floor offices and the first floor council offices were approached from a doorway on Albert Road, which led to a staircase hall.

EXTERIOR: the building is near symmetrical and revolves around the corner turret at the juncture of Witton Road and Albert Road. This is octagonal with a prominent attic storey which supports an octagonal roof with swept profile which has a louvered, timber top stage with lead cap and weather vane which shows the date ‘1881’. At either side of this turret are facades, each of fifteen bays, divided into clusters of three bays. Two gabled projections break forward from each front and these have three lights to the attic flanked by stone volutes. Windows to both floors have moulded stone surrounds. The Witton Road front has a classical, stone door surround with pediment and a tablet above the panelled double doors which reads ‘FREE LIBRARY’. There is a more prominent, single-storey porch to Albert Road, with an arched portal. Inside this is a red granite foundation stone which records the name of the architect. Chimneys across the building are to their full height with moulded bands. To both street fronts there are wrought iron railings with decorative finials in the form of vegetation.

The rear faces a yard and has a large, central Venetian window at the level of the first floor landing. Immediately at either side of this are projecting wings with hipped roofs and at either side again are three bays to each side, all openings having cambered heads. At basement level of the Albert Road wing there are two garage doors with a deep iron lintel which are believed to have housed fire engines before the building of the borough fire station.

INTERIOR: the entrance from Albert Road leads to a staircase hall with polychromatic, mosaic flooring which extends along the corridors in both wings. A staircase with large marble newel, iron balustrade and wooden handrail climbs the wall of a large canted bay to the first floor, where there is a generous landing, paved with mosaic flooring and with columns and arches and a skylight of etched glass. A porter’s booth with etched glass windows, appears to have been moved within the entrance hall but to be an original fitting. Rooms throughout the building have heavy ceiling beams and fireplaces with marble slips and panelled decoration with console brackets above the mantel shelf. Central heating radiators are placed in cast iron cabinets with marble tops and several of the rooms have ventilation ducts. A housekeeper’s room in the basement has a range, sink and fitted wooden cupboard, all of which appear to be original. The attics have cast iron fire surrounds.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Birmingham Daily Post' in , (3 January 1882)
'The Builder' in Aston Public Offices, (4 October 1879)

National Grid Reference: SP0717189551

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1405553 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 06:37:11.

End of official listing