Boundary Stone in front of No. 8 Chyandour Cliff


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Location Description:
Boundary Stone in front of No. 8 Chyandour Cliff, Penzance


Ordnance survey map of Boundary Stone in front of No. 8 Chyandour Cliff
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1408085 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 20:59:57.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Boundary Stone in front of No. 8 Chyandour Cliff, Penzance
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


A C17 boundary stone marking the former boundary of the Borough of Penzance. One of a pair that survive from an original group of four.

Reasons for Designation

The boundary stone in front of No. 8 Chyandour Cliff, Penzance, is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons: * Intactness: it is a good example of a C17 borough boundary stone; * Historic interest: it illustrates the establishment of local government in this part of Cornwall; * Group value: it has strong group value with the other surviving boundary stone.


James I granted a charter for the Borough of Penzance in 1614, and four inscribed stones were erected in 1687 to determine where the boundary was crossed by the main roads into the Borough. These were located at Chyandour, Chapel St Clare, Alverton and Wherrytown, costing £1 19s 6d to make and £1 10s 0d to erect. As late as the mid-C19 the stones were used as markers for a traditional race carried out by Penzance councillors called "beating the bounds".

One of the stones was removed when Alverton Road was widened, and a memorial plaque was erected nearby in 1867. The stone in Wherrytown is thought to have been removed during the development of the Esplanade. The stones at Chyandour and Chapel St Clare remain in situ.


The boundary stone is set at the rear of the footpath, in front of No. 8 Chyandour Cliff. It is constructed of granite, rectangular on plan with a rounded top. The stone is 74cm tall. There are rectangular recesses on three faces, where the stone has been cut back to leave a raised inscription, which reads: P 16 87. The lettering is rounded and worn.




This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].