Finger post

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1408200
Date first listed:
10-Sep-2012
Statutory Address:
Finger Post, Junction of Park Lane and Earsdon Road, Shiremoor, North Tyneside

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1408200.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 02:14:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
Finger Post, Junction of Park Lane and Earsdon Road, Shiremoor, North Tyneside

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ3173971856

Summary

Guidepost. Later C19/early C20. Manufactured by Smith, Patterson & Co, Blaydon.

Reasons for Designation

This cast-iron fingerpost of later C19 or early C20 date by Smith, Patterson & Co, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Design: It is an attractive example of a later C19/early C20 cast-iron finger post with three ‘fingers’ and a finial. * Rarity: a now rare example of a once ubiquitous form of street furniture, many of which were removed during the Second World War anti-invasion preparations. * Historic importance: an important part of the history of road transport in England. * Manufacturer: it was produced from the Newcastle-based Pioneer Foundry, a major guide and mile post manufacturer of the later C19 and early C20.

History

This finger post is believed to date from the later C19 or early C20, and to predate the widespread adoption of the motor car. It was manufactured by the firm of Smith, Patterson & Co at their Pioneer Foundry in Blaydon-on-Tyne, which operated from 1870 until 1954. A number of mile posts and some guide posts produced by the company are already included on the statutory list. It is first clearly identified on early Ordnance Survey maps in 1920 and predates the 1930 memorandum on direction posts issued by the Ministry of Transport specifying that the fingers should have square ends.

Details

Finger post, later C19/early C20. Manufactured by Smith, Patterson & Co, Blaydon. Cast-Iron cylindrical post with three fingers and a triangular finial. Fingers have chamfered corners and black raised lettering. One finger points south west listing Shire Moor ½ mile, Benton 3 ½ , Newcastle 7 ¼; the second points north east and lists Earsden ½ , Hartley 3, Blyth 7 and third finger points south listing New York 1½ , North Shields 3 ¾ .

Sources

None.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].