Preston Colliery War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1410878
Date first listed:
27-Nov-2012
Statutory Address:
Preston Cemetery, Walton Avenue, North Shields, North Tyneside

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1410878.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 02:32:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
Preston Cemetery, Walton Avenue, North Shields, North Tyneside

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ3423069150

Summary

First World War memorial, 1924 to the designs of Messrs. Cackett and Burns Dick of Newcastle and sculpted by D.W. Foster.

Reasons for Designation

Preston Colliery war memorial is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: it is a poignant reminder of the impact of tragic world events upon an individual community and, thus has strong cultural and historical significance within both a local and national context; * Design: by the noted regional architectural firm Cackett & Burns Dick, this war memorial is attractive and well-detailed.

History

At the start of the First World War 900 men were employed at Preston Colliery, and of these 392 joined the war effort, with 65 losing their lives. This war memorial was commissioned by the colliery owners, G.A. Ritson and Sons, and was designed by Messrs. Cackett and Burns Dick of Newcastle. The sculptor was Mr D.W. Foster, whose monumental workshop was nearby. A curving wall to the rear of the obelisk with wooden seats was erected by Messrs. Lant of Newcastle. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 15th June 1924 by Mr U.A. Ritson, Colliery Chairman, and was dedicated by Rev. R.E. Holmes. The memorial was originally sited at the junction of Queen Alexandra Road and Billy Mill Lane, but was moved to its present location in Preston Cemetery in 1964 due to road development; the curving wall to the rear with wooden seats was not re-erected on the new site.

Details

MATERIALS: silver-grey granite, bronze detail and lettering.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is in the form of a tall, slender, gently tapering, octagonal obelisk resting on an octagonal pedestal, which in turn rests on a three-stepped octagonal base. Towards the top of the obelisk the diagonal faces contain projecting blocks to create an armless cross. Eight carved bosses decorate the top of the pedestal and there is a bronze sword of sacrifice fixed to the face of the obelisk.

The first panel of the pedestal bears the inscription in lead lettering: TO OUR GLORIOUS DEAD / 1914-18 / PRESTON COLLIERY

And beneath on the top step of the base: ERECTED BY/J A RITSON & SON

The names of the 65 Fallen are recorded on panels two to six of the pedestal.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 8 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
Cross 1914-18, Preston Colliery Cemetery, accessed from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=8367
War Memorials Online, accessed 8 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/139066
War Memorials Register, accessed 8 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/11506

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].