War Memorial outside St George's Church

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1411542
Date first listed:
20-Nov-2012
Statutory Address:
St. George's Church, Grand Parade, Cullercoats, North Tyneside

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1411542.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 04:13:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
St. George's Church, Grand Parade, Cullercoats, North Tyneside

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ3646870834

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, Heworth stone.

Reasons for Designation

The First World War memorial outside St George’s Church is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: it is a poignant reminder of the impact of tragic world events upon an individual community and, thus, has strong cultural and historical significance within both a local and national context; * Design: it is a well-executed war memorial incorporating a well-detailed crucifix.

History

This war memorial was designed by Knowles, Oliver and Leeson of Newcastle and was unveiled at a ceremony on June 14 1921 by Lord Armstrong and dedicated by the vicar Rev. H. J. B Fry. In 1989, a new cast bronze plaque, by Robert Beall of Newcastle, listing the names of 83 Fallen was added to the memorial to replace the weathered inscribed list of names; the memorial was also re-dedicated by the Duke of Northumberland. The new bronze plaque was stolen in April 2010.

Details

The memorial is situated immediately outside the east end of St George’s Church. It takes the form of a crucifix upon a square pedestal with a moulded top; the whole is set upon a square, tall base, also with a moulded top. The tall Latin cross with triangular pediment bears a Christ in Agony with bearded head, crowned with thorns. The arms are up stretched and fingers clasped and a loose loincloth is knotted to the right. side. The right knee is bent and the feet superimposed.

The inscription, in raised Roman capitals, on the front face of the pyramidal cap reads: HERE BENEATH THE SHADOW OF THE CROSS/BEHOLD THE NAMES OF OUR BRETHREN OF /CULLERCOATS WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE /GREAT WAR 1914-1918/LET FUTURE GENERATIONS KEEP THEM/IN CONTINUAL REMEMBRANCE /GIVING UNTO GOD THE THANKS AND THE GLORY.

The names of 82 Fallen are inscribed in three columns beneath on the front face of the base, many of which are illegible; nine holes used to fix the missing bronze plaque pierce the front face of the base.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 8 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
Crucifix 1914-18, St George Churchyard, accessed from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6856
War Memorials Online, accessed 8 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/218861
War Memorials Register, accessed 8 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/17734

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].