Gasholder No. 8

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1423467
Date first listed:
28-Jan-2015
Location Description:
TQ2993083677, Gas Holder Park and Canal Reach South, King's Cross, London

Map

Ordnance survey map of Gasholder No. 8
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1423467 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 06:09:29.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
TQ2993083677, Gas Holder Park and Canal Reach South, King's Cross, London
County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ2992983677

Summary

Gasholder, 1883, for the Imperial Gas Light and Coke Company. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the modern brick plinth on which the structure stands is not of special architectural or historic interest.

Reasons for Designation

Gasholder no. 8, 1883, for the Imperial Gas Light and Coke Company is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: as a remnant of one of London’s major C19 gas works and a reminder of the former industrial use of the urban site; * Aesthetic interest: by their nature gasholders are prominent landmarks, and this is a striking example with the utilitarian structure enriched with classical detailing.

History

The Imperial Gas Light and Coke Company’s gasworks at St Pancras was opened in the 1820s. Two groups of gasholders were situated on either side of Wharf Road; the original gasholder no. 8 was the largest of the eastern group of seven that ranged between c15m and 42m. As its levels of production increased, the earlier, smaller, gasholders were replaced with larger ones, and more were built; by the end of the 1860s it was the largest gasworks in the country. The company was taken over by the Gas Light and Coke Company in 1876. Gasholder no. 8 was erected in 1883 retaining a tank from the 1850s. The guide frame was the last to be built to the designs of John Clark, and is a Type 14, as defined by Tucker in his London Gasholders Survey. This type is characterised by a double order of cast-iron columns, the first examples of which date from the late 1850s. Production of gas ceased in the early C20, though the holders remained in use for gas storage until the late C20.

Gasholder no. 8 was listed in 1986, along with three others to the west of Wharf Road. All were dismantled in the early C21 and the guide frame of gasholder no. 8 was re-erected 400m to the north (its current location) in 2014.

Details

Gasholder guide frame, erected in 1883 for the Imperial Gas Light and Coke Company.

ARCHITECT: the structure is of a design by John Clark and built by CF Clegg, with ironwork by Westwood and Wright under company engineer Mr Kirkham.

EXTERIOR: a ‘Type 14’ iron guide frame, circular in plan. It has two orders of 16 cast iron columns: Doric with triglyphs, and a simplified waterleaf Ionic with a wide square cornice, linked by horizontal wrought-iron I-section lattice girders.

Sources

Books and journals
Smith, D, Civil Engineering Heritage: London and the Thames Valley, (2001), 203
Other
Malcolm Tucker, English Heritage. London Gasholders Survey: the Development of the Gasholder in London in the Later Nineteenth Century, December 2002
Volatile Heritage: St Pancras Gasholders in English Heritage Conservation Bulletin pages 82-3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].