Greenway Shelter in Sunnyhurst Wood

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1426160
Date first listed:
24-Feb-2016
Location Description:
Sunnyhurst Wood, Darwen

Map

Ordnance survey map of Greenway Shelter in Sunnyhurst Wood
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1426160 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 01:47:36.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Sunnyhurst Wood, Darwen
District:
Blackburn with Darwen (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tockholes
National Grid Reference:
SD6763322720

Summary

Shelter, 1912. Sandstone with iron roof structure and stone slate covering.

Reasons for Designation

The Greenway shelter, Sunnyhurst Wood, of 1912 is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: it is a well-designed structure in a rustic vernacular revival style that utilises good quality materials with a high level of attention to detail; * Degree of survival: it survives largely intact and compares favourably with listed examples of shelters and bandstands; * Historic interest: in common with the related structures in Sunnyhurst Wood, it attests to the widespread rise of leisure activities in the late-C19 and early-C20 and which, provided via the philanthropy of notable local people, together preserve a set of contemporary public inscriptions; * Group value: as one of a group of listed Edwardian, municipal park structures, it benefits from a historic, spatial and functional group value, strengthened further by its relationship to the Grade II registered park itself.

History

Sunnyhurst Wood, a wooded valley with a brook running through it, was purchased by Darwen Corporation in the early C20 for the creation of a public park to commemorate the Coronation of Edward VII in 1902. Funds were raised by public subscription, through the efforts of Alderman John Tomlinson, Mayor of Darwen (1900-1902) amounting to £2600. Work on the park began in 1902 and involved the construction of a number of paths, additional planting and minor works to the stream. The opening ceremony took place on 2nd July 1903 performed by Mrs Shorrock, the Mayoress. Within a few months of opening, improvements were being made and benefactors were providing further amenities at their own expense; these included a fishpond, a shallow lake for paddling and toy boat sailing, an aviary and a sundial.

This stone-built shelter was presented by Charles Spencer Greenway in 1912. The Spencer family owned the Dobmeadow printworks. The slope immediately south of the shelter was remodelled with a semi-circular stone ‘plinth’ which could be used for seating as a bandstand, looking across the wide flat clearing where the concerts and entertainments were held. The shelter was used for the popular Café Chantante entertainments in the years around the First World War.

Details

Shelter, 1912. Sandstone with iron roof structure and stone slate covering.

DESCRIPTION: octagonal structure with a conical stone slate roof comprising eight solid tooled and coursed stone columns with Tuscan-style capitals. The columns support a series of convex timber beams and eight radial joists support an octagonal king post with closely abutted rafters which show at the eaves. There is a perimeter stone kerb, now flush with the ground level. An inscription on the external face of one of the columns records the date August 1912 and the name of the benefactor in cursive script.

Sources

Books and journals
Hartwell, C., Pevsner, N, in The Buildings of England, Lancashire, North, (2009), 273
Other
The Landscape History of Sunnyhurst Wood, Darwen: survey and report for Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council. By Dr Alan G. Crosby, 2007

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].