This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

The Berkeley Hotel

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: The Berkeley Hotel

List entry Number: 1426932

Location

Doncaster Road, Scunthorpe, DN15 7DS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Lincolnshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Aug-2015

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Large roadhouse, opened in 1940, designed by Scott & Clark of Wednesbury. Mellow red brick with buff brick and faience dressings, hipped pantiled roofs, brick chimneystacks. Mainly 2-storeys plus basement. Exterior with Neo-Georgian, Moderne, Art Deco and Oriental influences. Interior incorporates classical and Art Deco influences.

Reasons for Designation

The Berkeley Hotel is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural quality: it is a very good example of an inter-war 'roadhouse' designed to cater for local and visiting trade, that possesses a highly distinctive and imposing composition incorporating numerous architectural style influences, including Neo-Georgian, Moderne, Art Deco, and Oriental to successful effect;

* Degree of survival: it survives largely unaltered both externally and internally, retaining its original plan and once typical, but now rare, roadhouse features, including garden servery, ballroom, kitchen and dining facilities, lounge and public bar, and the original hotel bedrooms;

* Interior quality: it has a high-quality interior scheme mixing classical and Art Deco elements that incorporates notable features, such as arched openings and doorways with leaded fanlights, ceiling decoration, an imposing main stair with fan-like lower steps, a polished-wood reception counter and leaded sliding sash window above, an original maple floor and band stage in the ballroom, and polished-wood dados, radiator covers and bar counter in the dining room;

* Historic interest: its construction represents a rare and interesting example of a partnership between a brewery and a private individual - in this instance, a woman.

History

Inter-war ‘improved’ or ‘reformed’ pubs stemmed from a desire to cut back on the amount of drunkenness associated with conventional Victorian and Edwardian public houses. Licensing magistrates and breweries combined to improve the facilities and reputation of the building type. Improved pubs were generally more spacious than their predecessors, often with restaurant facilities, function rooms and gardens, and consciously appealed to families and to a mix of incomes and classes. Central, island serveries with counters opening onto several bar areas allowed the monitoring of customers and also the efficient distribution of staff to whichever area needed service. Many, although not all, of the new pubs were built as an accompaniment to new suburban development around cities, and a policy of ‘fewer and better’ was followed by magistrates both in town and on the outskirts. A licence might be granted for a new establishment on surrender of one or more licences for smaller urban premises. Approximately 1,000 new pubs were built in the 1920s – the vast majority of them on ‘improved’ lines - and almost 2,000 in the period 1935-39. Neo-Tudor and Neo-Georgian were the favoured styles, although others began to appear at the end of the period.

The Berkeley Hotel was constructed in the late-1930s to the designs of Scott & Clark of Wednesbury, West Midlands, with Messrs T H Nicholls of Walsall as contractors. The bar fittings and decorative joinery were produced by Messrs Harry & Sheldon Ltd of Birmingham. The hotel opened on 26 September 1940 alongside the A18, a trunk road that was constructed in 1933 as the western extension of Doncaster Road, and it was designed to cater for both local and visiting trade.

The hotel takes its name from Sir Berkeley Sheffield (1876-1946) 6th Baronet of Normanby who was MP for Brigg in 1907-10 and 1922-29, and was the first Charter Mayor of Scunthorpe in 1936. The hotel was proposed by Mrs Edith Kennedy who had owned the land since 1937 and sold it to Samuel Smith's Old Brewery in 1938. The plans were developed by Mrs Kennedy, who became the first licensee, in conjunction with her husband who was also a local Councillor, the architects and the brewery. It was Mrs Kennedy who selected the hotel's interior decorations.

The Berkeley Hotel is included in CAMRA's National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors where it is identified as possessing an interior of national importance.

Details

Large roadhouse, opened in 1940, designed by Scott & Clark of Wednesbury. Mellow red brick with buff brick and faience dressings, hipped pantiled roofs, brick chimneystacks. Mainly 2-storeys plus basement. Exterior with Neo-Georgian, Moderne, Art Deco and Oriental influences. Interior incorporates classical and Art Deco influences.

PLAN: the Berkeley Hotel is a large building with an irregular U-shaped plan comprised of a front range with two wings of differing size set to the rear and arranged around a courtyard. The hotel is set within a very large plot incorporating a car parking forecourt to the front and west side, and gardens (now heavily overgrown) to the north-east side and rear. The building's front elevation is angled to face south-east and a roundabout at the junction of Doncaster Road, Scotter Road and Kingsway.

EXTERIOR: the exterior incorporates handmade facing bricks and fixed-pane and casement windows with decorative leaded glazing. The building's hipped roofs have deep overhanging eaves that are slightly kicked and reference an Oriental-inspired form of Art Deco that was popular in the 1930s, especially in cinemas.

Front (south-east) elevation: this principal elevation incorporates a single-storey entrance projection with a wide entrance doorway containing double doors with a leaded overlight. Fluted faience half-columns form a surround to the doorway and a faience canopy/hood above incorporates wave detailing. Flanking the entrance to each side and forming part of the projection are wide canted bays (containing toilets and cloakrooms) lit by small round-arched windows. The bays incorporate low buff-brick half-columns to the canted corners, which are surmounted by globe lights that are a later addition and replaced flame-style lights that are believed to have been present originally. The whole entrance projection is set underneath a pantiled mansard roof. Rising above and behind the entrance is a frontispiece that rises above the eavesline with a round-arched window and a stepped parapet with curved edges. A flag pole is set behind the parapet, which is also adorned with Art Deco-style relief lettering with a curved underside that reads 'The Berkeley'. The first floor above and behind the cloakroom projections is lit on each side by three top-hung casement windows. Flanking the entrance projection are two 2-storey hipped-roofed projections, both with two full-height round-arched recesses in buff brick containing cross windows to the ground floor and 3-light casements to the first floor. The symmetry of the front elevation is then disrupted by the fact that the elevation continues for an additional 2-bays beyond the north-east projection. These 2-bays also incorporate cross windows to the ground floor and 3-light casements to the first floor. Set back slightly to the right is a flat-roofed 2-storey projection with a tall round-arched window that lights a stair accessing the manager's flat. Attached to the far right of the elevation is a single-storey service projection, which is separated from a detached outbuilding by a small service yard. The buildings are linked at the front and rear by a high brick wall incorporating a timber pedestrian gate on both sides. The detached outbuilding to the far right (north-east end) has a boarded-over window to the front and a curved east corner.

North-east elevation: this elevation incorporates the north-east return of the front range to the far left, which is plainer on this side with a series of small first-floor windows lighting part of the manager's flat, and the service buildings attached to the ground floor. A large single-storey flat-roofed rear wing to the right contains the hotel's ballroom and incorporates a series of large arched windows and French windows with Diocletian fanlights; the wall face incorporating the French windows is recessed, enabling the roof to form a canopy. The north-west end of the ballroom incorporates a canted projection to the centre that forms a dressing room/back-stage area for the ballroom's stage.

Rear (north-west) elevation: the rear of the building is formed by a series of projections. To the centre of the ground floor is a single-storey dining-room projection that flows into the north-east ballroom projection. Both incorporate a series of arched doorways and French windows with Diocletian fanlights that look out/lead out on to the courtyard; all are recessed beneath the roof canopy. The first floor of the front range behind the dining room is lit by a series of windows, and a doorway leads out on to the dining room's roof. First-floor level projections at each left and right end contain a bathroom belonging to the manager's flat and the main stair respectively. Attached to the far right of the elevation and forming the south-west side of the courtyard is a 2-storey bedroom wing (part of which has a flat roof) with a c1960 single-storey projection containing toilets attached to its north-west end. The wing retains its original fire-exit stair and also incorporates a 2-storey canted projection facing into the courtyard with sash windows on the ground floor that originally formed a garden servery.

South-west elevation: this elevation incorporates the south-west return of the front range to the far right, which has two arched recessed bays in the same style as those to the front with windows to both floors. Set back to the left and projecting north-westwards is the 2-storey hipped-roofed rear wing with a 2-storey flat-roofed block attached at the north-west end. Cross windows light the ground floor, with mainly 2-and 3-light windows to the first floor. The wing's central bay has rusticated pilaster strips that flank an arched window recess to the ground floor, which is in the same style as the building's 2-storey recesses. Two round-arched doorways with moulded buff-brick inner surrounds exist to each end of the elevation (that to the left forms part of the flat-roofed block at the north-west end and accesses the public bar, whilst that to the right formerly accessed the off-sales) and contain doors incorporating roll-moulding detail and leaded glazing, with leaded fanlights above.

INTERIOR: the original plan layout survives virtually intact and original doors and door furniture survive throughout, as well as many light fittings. The main entrance leads into a large T-shaped hall/foyer with round-arched doorways of varying size with fanlights leading off into the various areas of the ground floor. Toilets and cloakrooms lie off to the south-east side of the foyer flanking the main entrance; the toilets have been modernised, but have tiling in 1930s style, and the cloakrooms have been converted into a disabled toilet and a store room. The cloakrooms were originally accessed via lobbies in the toilets, but modern doorways have been inserted in the entrance foyer in the same style as the rest of those in the foyer.

Located to the right (north-east) side of the entrance foyer is the hotel reception/office window, which has a polished-wood counter and leaded-glazed sashes above. The office itself has been subdivided and its fireplace removed. A doorway to the left provides access to the office and the hotel's kitchen, which also has access into the dining room and ballroom, and retains a separate scullery.

Set to the rear of the entrance hall/foyer is a wide dog-leg stair with curved side walls and lower steps that fan outwards. The upper flight retains its original slender metal handrail, but those to the lower flight have been replaced. Two large doorways to the right of the stair lead into a large dining room, which has a geometric coffered ceiling and an original polished-wood panelled dado with inlay strips and inset bell pushes that incorporates a bar counter on the south-west wall. A similarly styled panelled pot-shelf screen sits above the counter. The bar back is also original and the servery connects through to the serveries of the lounge, public bar and a former off-sales. A small room off to the north-west side of the dining-room bar servery, which is now used as a washing-up and storage area, originally formed a garden servery and was accessed internally from the public-bar servery. The dining room does not have a fireplace and instead has central heating with polished-wood radiator covers with curved ends. Two doorways on the north-east side of the room set within round-arched recesses provide in and out access into the kitchen. Two larger round-arched doorways to the left containing double doors lead into the ballroom, which has an original maple dance floor, lighting niches, a recessed-panelled ceiling, coving incorporating shaped wave-like decoration, and a stage at the north-west end. Two in and out doorways at the south-east end of the room in the same style as those in the dining room provide access into the kitchen.

Located to the left (south-west end) of the entrance foyer is a wide arched opening containing leaded-glazed double doors and side lights with a Diocletian fanlight above. This leads into the lounge, which has Art Deco plasterwork decoration to the ceiling and retains the majority of its fixed-bench seating. A polished-wood fireplace, which appears to be 1930s in date with a later mosaic-tile insert, was brought in from elsewhere in the late-C20. A panelled bar counter and pot shelf above, which are set to the north corner, are also late-C20 in date and replaced the original polished-wood versions that were similarly styled to those in the dining room. The lounge's servery links to the serveries of the dining room and public bar and a stair accessing the beer cellars. The servery also links to a former off-sales area, which has a wave-like frieze at picture rail height. The off-sales has lost its counter and is now used for storage.

The public bar is located to the rear left of the ground floor in the south-west rear wing and public access is only via the exterior. A small vestibule leads into a lobby, both with original terrazzo floors and a wave-like frieze in the same style as that to the former off-sales. Off to the lobby's north-west side are gentlemen's and ladies toilets; the gentlemen's retains its original buff, red and black wall tiling, but the ladies toilets have been altered and enlarged through the addition of a c1960 small single-storey extension. A door off to the south-east side of the lobby leads into the public bar, which has fixed-bench seating, a simple Art Deco stone fireplace and a panelled bar counter to the east corner. The counter was shortened slightly in 1990 and its canted corner moved back. The bar back survives in its original form.

The first floor accommodation originally included nine bedrooms, three shared bathrooms, and a large writing lounge. There are now eight bedrooms contained within the south-western half of the front range and the adjacent rear wing (one of the guest bedrooms and the former writing lounge in the front range now form part of the manager's flat, which occupies the north-eastern half of the front range) and en-suite bathrooms have been created, two of which were originally shared bathrooms. A bathroom on the north-east side of the rear wing has remained separate. The main stair's first-floor landing was boxed-in on the south-west side through the addition of a glazed partition in the 1970s for fire safety reasons. The manager's flat incorporates a corridor that runs alongside the north-west wall with rooms off to the front and north-east end. A doorway off to the north-west side leads out on to the roof of the dining room and ballroom projections. The former guest writing lounge contains a modern gas fireplace. An original secondary stair at the north-east end of the flat provides access down to the hotel kitchen and service yard.

Selected Sources

Websites
Campaign for Real Ale Pub Heritage - Historic Pub Interiors. Lincolnshire - Scunthorpe, Berkeley. An historic pub interior of national importance, accessed 21 April 2015 from http://www.heritagepubs.org.uk/pubs/pubguide.asp
Other
E Cole, ‘The Urban and Suburban Public House in Inter-War England, 1918-1939’, Historic England Research Report Series, no. 4/2015

National Grid Reference: SE8715911267

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1426932 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 12:40:20.

End of official listing