The former Mission Hall, walls and railings to Iffley Road and Tabor Road
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- 41 Iffley Road, Hammersmith, London, W6 0PB
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1427410 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 03:28:04.
- Statutory Address:
- 41 Iffley Road, Hammersmith, London, W6 0PB
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Greater London Authority
- Hammersmith and Fulham (London Borough)
- Non Civil Parish
- National Grid Reference:
A former mission hall of 1883-4, by H R Gough.
Reasons for Designation
The former Mission Hall of 1883-4 at 41 Iffley Road, Hammersmith, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: the well-executed facades in the C15 Venetian Gothic style are richly detailed and designed by H R Gough, an architect with listed buildings to his name; * Rarity: mission halls of such architectural sophistication and distinction are rarely found nationally, with some of the most elaborate being listed at a high grade; * Interior: altered and of lesser interest, but the roof structure is distinctive and adds to the overall interest of the building; * Group value: the hall has some functional and historical association with the Church of St John the Evangelist to the south, listed at Grade II*.
This area of Hammersmith, known as Brackenbury Village, was largely undeveloped until the late C19. The current road layout and housing is clearly shown on the historic Ordnance Survey map of 1894, where the building is annotated ‘mission hall’. The building was constructed in 1883-4 on a site given by the Bishop of London, who also paid for the hall. It was established to provide ministry for the expanding residential district between Glenthorne Road and Goldhawk Road, but its primary purpose is believed to have been a Sunday school and later a church hall for the nearby Church of St John The Evangelist, Glenthorne Road, W6 (1857-9 by William Butterfield, Grade II*, National Heritage List for England ref. 1286817) now incorporated into the Godolphin & Latymer School as an educational building. In more recent years the hall was used as a studio by John Campbell, a scenic artist who has painted sets for Covent Garden. There is a circular blue plaque to him (not erected by the former English Heritage) on the Iffley Road elevation.
The building has some alterations. Externally, some of the fenestration is replaced at the east end and glazing has been renewed in places elsewhere. It is said that the gable elevations were originally of exposed, rubbed red brick, rendered and painted later; the asbestos sheet covering to the roof is a later intervention. Internally, it is believed that a large room and kitchen to provide a working men’s club and dinners for the poor were incorporated into the west end; these may have been located in the rooms beneath the stage. However, some of the stage construction appears to be of later date and may relate to the use of the building as a hall and studio.
The architect was Hugh Roumieu Gough (1842-1904) who worked principally in the Gothic revival style on ecclesiastical projects. His father was the architect Alexander 'Dick' Gough (1804-1871), who had been a partner and close friend of Robert Louis Roumieu (1814-1877). H R Gough has a number of listed buildings to his name including: St Cuthbert's and St Matthias Church, Philbeach Gardens, London, W8 (1884-7, Grade I, NHLE ref 1266119); St Cuthbert's Clergy House, Philbeach Gardens, London, W8 (1883, Grade II, NHLE ref 1421478) and St Paul's Church, Queen Caroline Street, London, W6 (jointly with JP Seddon, 1882-91, Grade II*, NHLE ref.1079802). The sculptor of the finials was said to be Polish aristocrat and sculptor Baron de Sziemanowicz, who also worked on St Cuthbert's and St Matthias Church, Philbeach Gardens. The masonry was executed by Tomes and Wimpey of Hammersmith, who later became a major British construction company.
Former mission hall by H R Gough, constructed 1883-4 by Tomes and Wimpey with sculpted finials said to be by Baron de Sziemanowicz.
Brick with cement render to the gable ends, and brick elevations. Asbestos sheeting* to the roof.
A linear range, aligned east to west, with entrances at the gable ends on Iffley Road (east) and Tabor Road (west). The central hall has a mezzanine at the east end and a stage* at the west, beneath which is a basement comprising rooms with former toilet facilities and storage extending beneath the Tabor Road pavement.
The gable elevations are a free interpretation of crenellated C15 Venetian Gothic and share a similar treatment and arrangement. The hall is lit by three tall windows at the gables, each window comprising vertically arranged, three or four pairs of metal-framed cusped lancets with transoms and a mullion. Over the windows are ogee drip moulds with detailed stops. Above, the stepped gable parapet is surmounted by a carved, scrolled finial. At both gable ends two separate entrances beneath crenellated parapets flank the hall, all with timber entrance doors. At the west (Tabor Road) end, the access arrangements differ to accommodate the basement rooms. Here, flights of steps lead to the moulded four-centred arch door openings. Above each door are pairs of stubby, cusped lancets with multi-coloured lights set within a recessed and cusped panel, over which is a drip mould. The basement rooms are lit by three, large multi-panel, metal casements at this level. The entrances at the east (Iffley Road) end are level with the pavement. The recessed panel above the cusped door opening has two blind window openings and quatrefoils over the lancets.
The side elevations and roof are not visible from either gable end.
The hall has exposed wooden floorboards and over-painted brick elevations. The roof structure has cast iron truss plates supported by ribs with quatrefoil piercings to the spandrels. The dormered clerestory fenestration has some renewed glazing. At the east end, the mezzanine partition is panelled at ground floor level with matchboard above and a band of glazing which appears to be later in date. The upper level is approached by stairs but there are no historic fixtures and fittings; beneath the mezzanine are modern toilet facilities*.
The stage* opening at the west end appears remodelled, with partitions* inserted to create additional studio space. Plain stairs lead down to the basement rooms; a contemporary, part-glazed door remains here and what appears to be a partially blocked fireplace may mark the position of the kitchen range. Doors lead into the small yard in front of the basement windows. The former toilet and storage bays extend beneath the pavement.
At both the Tabor Road and Iffley Road elevations are small courtyards defined by low rendered walls topped with railings, terminating in piers.
* Pursuant to s.1(5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that these aforementioned features are not of special architectural or historic interest.
Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 3 North West, (2002)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing