Alrewas War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1429128
Date first listed:
21-Sep-2015
Statutory Address:
Junction of Main Street and Post Office Road, Alrewas, Staffordshire, DE13 7BS

Map

Ordnance survey map of Alrewas War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1429128.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 17:54:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
Junction of Main Street and Post Office Road, Alrewas, Staffordshire, DE13 7BS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Lichfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Alrewas
National Grid Reference:
SK1700415052

Summary

First World War Memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Alrewas War Memorial, situated on the Green at the junction of Main Street and Post Office Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic Interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Group value: with Home Farmhouse and 2, Post Office Road, both Grade II-listed.

History

Alrewas War Memorial, funded by public subscription, was dedicated on 16 January 1921 at an ecumenical Parade Service. The memorial was unveiled by Col WE Harrison OBE and dedicated by Rev A Paice. Following the end of the Second World War inscriptions were added to commemorate local servicemen who died in that conflict. Conservation and repair work was carried out in 2014, funded by War Memorials Trust. This included the inscription of newly-researched names.

Details

The memorial stands on the Village Green in the centre of the village and in close proximity to a number of listed buildings. The triangular lawn is enclosed by railings and benches face outwards from two sides of the Green. Originally the memorial was enclosed by a timber fence. The grey granite memorial takes the form of a plain Latin cross rising from the shallow cornice of a square, tapering, plinth. The plinth stands on a square, three-stepped, base, the bottom step of which is concrete.

The principle dedication incised on the front face of the plinth reads TO THE ETERNAL MEMORY OF THE/ MEN OF ALREWAS WHOSE NAMES/ ARE INSCRIBED HEREON, WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES FOR THE EMPIRE IN/ THE GREAT WAR, AND ALL OF THOSE/ OTHERS FROM THIS PARISH WHO/ FOUGHT UNDER THE FLAG DURING/ THE SAME PERIOD 1914 – 1919/ IN LIKE MANNER/ WE HONOUR THE MEN OF ALREWAS/ WHOSE NAMES ARE INSCRIBED BELOW and continues on the front face of the upper step of the base, WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945.

The names of those who fell in the First World War are carved into the other three faces of the plinth. The names of those who fell in the Second World War are carved into the front face of the middle step of the base. All inscriptions are incised and painted black.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 19 January 2017.

Sources

Websites
Alrewas Archives, accessed 29/07/2015 from http://www.alrewas-archives.co.uk/30s50splaces.html
War Memorials Online, accessed 19 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/110485
War Memorials Register, accessed 19 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/13307
War Memorials Trust, Grants Showcase - Alrewas, accessed 15/05/2015 from http://www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=1175
Other
“Alrewas – Dedication of War Memorial”, Lichfield Mercury, 21 January 1921, p8

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].