Shackleford and Peper Harow War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Shackleford and Peper Harow War Memorial, Shackleford Road, Shackleford, Surrey, GU8 6AE


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1429560.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2020 at 03:13:46.


Statutory Address:
Shackleford and Peper Harow War Memorial, Shackleford Road, Shackleford, Surrey, GU8 6AE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Guildford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


Shackleford and Peper Harow War Memorial, unveiled on 6 November 1921.

Reasons for Designation

Shackleford and Peper Harow War Memorial, unveiled on 6 November 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: as an elegant and well-proportioned stone cross; * Group value: the memorial has group value with the Church of St Mary (listed Grade II).


The war memorial stands on land given by Col G R Hadaway of Grenville and commemorates the dead of both world wars. It was designed by Mr R H Butterworth of Milford and erected by Messrs Avery of Farncombe and the unveiling and dedication service took place on 6 November 1921 with the rectors of Shackleford and Peper Harow parishes officiating.

In 1939 the lettering on the memorial was filled in to hide the names as a precaution but was restored in 1946. The addition of inscribed panels with the names of those who had died during the 1939-45 war was completed in 1950. Some repair work was carried out in the 1960s but the badly eroded First World War names were replaced in 2004 with hand-cut letters in York stone by Sussex Stone Masons of Littlehampton. The details were copied as they appeared originally on the memorial except that the names of the regiments and one surname were written in full. Work was also carried out in 2013 to replace the degraded York stone inscribed sections with granite panels.


The war memorial stands in a prominent location on a crossroads in Shackleford close to the Church of St Mary (listed Grade II). It comprises a limestone cross on an octagonal shaft set on an octagonal plinth on a two-stepped base. Around the plinth is inscribed with Celtic-style lettering: IN/ GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF/ THE/ MEN OF SHACKLEFORD/ AND/ PEPER HAROW/ WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/ THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918. On all four longer sides of the octagonal plinth are inserted granite tablets inscribed with the names of 23 men who lost their lives in the war with their regiments, the lettering painted.

The first step of the octagonal base comprises an integral stone trough which has inscribed on the south face: THEIR NAMES LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. The other faces are plain although it appears that the lettering has been removed on the east face.

The memorial sits in an octagonal paved enclosure formed of low walls on five sides of Bargate stone with York stone coping and open on the south side where it is accessed by two steps.

On each end terminus of the wall, granite tablets have been fixed inscribed with 1939-1945 and with the names of five men who lost their lives in the Second World War underneath.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 5 December 2016.


Websites, accessed 5 July 2015 from
War Memorials Online, accessed 05/12/2016 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 05/12/2016 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].