Burton Salmon War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1430153
Date first listed:
09-Feb-2016
Location Description:
Sited on the south western corner of the junction of Hillam Lane and Ledgate Lane, Burton Salmon, North Yorkshire.

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1430153.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 03:07:59.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Sited on the south western corner of the junction of Hillam Lane and Ledgate Lane, Burton Salmon, North Yorkshire.
County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Selby (District Authority)
Parish:
Burton Salmon
National Grid Reference:
SE4893227786

Summary

War memorial in the form of a timber-framed shrine modelled on a traditional lychgate.

Reasons for Designation

Burton Salmon War Memorial, situated at the junction of Ledgate and Hillam Lanes, is listed at grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Social interest: acting both as a roll of honour and as a memorial to the fallen; * Architectural: as a timber-framed shrine drawing on the form of a traditional lychgate, the memorial is a slightly unusual design.

History

The War Memorial is sited on Ledgate Lane, being the main route between the village centre and its former railway station. It was erected by public subscription and unveiled in 1925, but not completed until 1928. Although the contract was awarded to Robert Thompson of Kilburn (the Mouseman of Kilburn), it was subcontracted to Bagues and Beck of Ripon. In 1947 Thompson produced a memorial plaque commemorating the Second World War which was added to the memorial. The names of the fallen are also recorded on the parish war memorial sited in the churchyard of St. Wilfrid's, Monk Fryston.

Parish minutes indicate that the concrete posts and chains associated with the memorial were replaced more than once. The form of the current ones appear to be late C20 and are thus not included within the listing. Parish minutes of March 5th 1957 note that a proposal to adapt the memorial to also serve as a bus shelter was rejected.

Details

Village roll of honour and war memorial, 1925, possibly designed by Robert “Mouseman” Thompson of Kilburn.

MATERIALS: English oak frame set on a concrete base, with a slate roof.

DESIGN: timber-framed shrine that is modelled on a gabled lichgate, but with the rear portal infilled with the memorial plaques, the three remaining sides being enclosed by low balustrades. The tie-beam of the front gable is inscribed with raised lettering “THEIR NAMES LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”. The tie beam above the memorial plaques is similarly inscribed “THOSE WHO SERVED”. Below the tie beam there are three original inscribed panels forming infilling to the timber framing. The flanking panels list 35 names in alphabetical order by surname, then initials. The central panel is inscribed: “1914 + 1919 / TO THE / GLORY OF GOD / AND IN MEMORY / OF THE MEN OF / THIS PARISH WHO / FELL IN THE / GREAT WAR” followed by four further names. Below there is an oak plaque that is affixed to the balustrading inscribed with “TO THOSE WHO SERVED 1939-1945 AND IN MEMORY OF A H WALLGATE WHO GAVE HIS LIFE” followed by the names of 24 men followed by the text “WOMEN’S SERVICES” followed by three further names, all in the form of initials, surname, ordered alphabetically.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 1 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 1 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/231096
War Memorials Register, accessed 1 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/47148

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building is shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].