Edgbaston War Memorial at St Augustine's Church

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1430856

Date first listed: 20-Nov-2015

Statutory Address: St Augustine's Church, Lyttelton Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 9JN

Map

Ordnance survey map of Edgbaston War Memorial at St Augustine's Church
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1430856 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 11:53:59.

Location

Statutory Address: St Augustine's Church, Lyttelton Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 9JN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SP0378586135

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Edgbaston War Memorial, situated beside the Parish Church of St Augustine of Hippo, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a competition winning entry by the notable designer JH Morcom; * Sculptural interest: a well-executed monument, elegantly combining Classical form with Art Deco style; * Group value: with the Parish Church of St Augustine of Hippo (Grade II*-listed).

History

The war memorial was the product of a competition organised by a local committee soon after the end of the First World War. The committee specified a memorial that did not overtly reflect any religious denomination, despite being situated beside the church. The winning design, chosen by Sir Whitworth Wallis (1844-1927), who was at the time the curator of Birmingham City Art Gallery, was by JH Morcom. In his Faculty Petition of 13 May 1921, the Reverend Rosslyn Bruce wrote, ‘The proposed monument does not represent an urn but rather a column. It is surmounted by the symbolic flame, representative of eternal life. The angels hold wreaths of laurel and the whole embodies the severest simplicity. The purpose has been kept that the view of meeting the wishes of many bereaved parents of many differing “denominations” to whom symbolism means little.’

The original design included a York stone pavement, an enclosing hedge, and two stone bollards each carved with four swords in reverse. This part of the design was not completed. The Faculty was granted on 24 June 1921. The memorial cost £640 and was unveiled on 28 July 1921.

Joseph Herbert Morcom ARCA (1871-1942) worked first for a local firm of stonemasons in Wales, later securing a position with Norbury, Paterson & Co of Liverpool. In the early 1890s he enrolled at Liverpool School of Architecture and Applied Art. By 1904 he was Assistant Modelling Master at the School and in 1910 was appointed Modelling Master at Leicester School of Art. Four years later he bought Pearson and Shipley, a firm of stonemasons and monumental sculptors, which he renamed The Plasmatic Company. He was responsible for a number of other war memorials, including those at Quorn, Aylestone, and for Cortonwood Colliery.

Details

The memorial stands in front of the Parish Church of St Augustine of Hippo (Grade II*), to the south side of the church. Built in Portland stone, it comprises a two-stepped base surmounted by tapering, square, stele. A pedestal, slightly stepped back, on top of the stele bears carved wreaths on each side. Standing on the pedestal a tapering pillar carries an eternal flame. Each side of the pillar is carved with a robed figure, holding wreaths and with palm leaves carved at each arris.

On the upper part of the front of the stele the principal dedication reads IN HONOURED MEMORY/ OF ALL THOSE WHO WENT/ FROM THIS PARISH AND/ FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919/ AND/ 1939-1945. Below at the foot of the stele is carved FOR GOD AND COUNTRY. The commemorated names are carved on the remaining three sides of the stele.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 18 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/191145
War Memorials Register, accessed 15/10/2015 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/51951

End of official listing