Severn Stoke War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1431686
Date first listed:
22-Dec-2015
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
Junction of Ham Lane and Church Lane, Severn Stoke, Worcestershire, WR8 9JA

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1431686.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 04:57:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
Junction of Ham Lane and Church Lane, Severn Stoke, Worcestershire, WR8 9JA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
County:
Worcestershire
District:
Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish:
Severn Stoke
National Grid Reference:
SO8569344193

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Severn Stoke War Memorial, situated at the junction of Church Lane and Ham Lane in Severn Stoke, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic Interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War; * Architectural Interest: an elegant Classical obelisk.

History

Severn Stoke War Memorial was executed by the firm of Messrs Gardiner, and was unveiled by the Earl of Coventry on 23 October 1920. It commemorates not only 14 local servicemen who died during the First World War, but also 82 who served overseas and returned and 15 who served at home. Conservation and repair work was carried out in 2014, funded by War Memorials Trust.

Details

The memorial stands on a small lawn at the junction of Ham Lane, Church Lane, and the main road through Severn Stoke village. Built of Portland stone, it comprises a tall octagonal obelisk with an octagonal foot, rising from the plain cornice of a square plinth.

The principal dedication carved into the front face of the plinth reads ERECTED/ IN HONOUR OF THE MEN OF/ SEVERN STOKE/ WHO SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919./ THE FOLLOWING GAVE THEIR LIVES/ (14 NAMES).

Two of the other faces are inscribed THOSE WHO SERVED OVERSEAS, followed by the names of those who served overseas in the First World War. The fourth face is inscribed SERVED AT HOME, followed by the names of those who served on the Home Front. All inscriptions are incised and painted black.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 18 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/144468
War Memorials Register, accessed 15/05/2015 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/32634
War Memorials Trust, Grants Showcase - Severn Stoke, accessed 18/11/2015 from http://www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=1192

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].