Harden War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1432219
Date first listed:
16-Mar-2016
Location Description:
The junction of Wilsden Road and Harden Road, Harden, Bingley, West Yorkshire

Map

Ordnance survey map of Harden War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1432219 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:36:11.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
The junction of Wilsden Road and Harden Road, Harden, Bingley, West Yorkshire
District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Harden
National Grid Reference:
SE0858738327

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920, Second World War dates and names added later. Sandstone ashlar and millstone grit. Wayside cross design

Reasons for Designation

Harden War Memorial, unveiled in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design interest: it is a good example of a wayside-cross war memorial with an elegant columnar design; * Group value: it has strong group value with the neighbouring Grade II listed Harden Congregational Church to the east across Wilsden Road.

History

Harden War Memorial was unveiled on 9 October 1920 by Brigadier-General Sir George Armytage Bart C B, and dedicated by Revd R Garrad, vicar of Bingley. The names of those who fell during the Second World War were added later.

Details

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920, Second World War dates and names added later. Sandstone ashlar and millstone grit. Wayside cross design

The war memorial takes the form of a wayside cross and is located to the east of St Saviour's Church on a prominent corner site of raised ground at the junction of Harden Road, Wilsden Road and Keighley Road. The memorial is set upon a stone-flagged platform accessed by a central flight of three steps and flanked by sandstone ashlar gate piers with flat-topped pyramidal caps (the original ball finials depicted in an historic photograph have been removed), and high ramped walls of coursed millstone grit blocks with segmental copings. A low, stepped millstone-grit retaining wall forms the backdrop to the memorial and platform. The memorial consists of a shaped hexagonal base surmounted by a Tuscan column and a cross. The base is inscribed with 'REMEMBER' to the front face with '1914' to the left and '1919' to the right. The rear three faces are inscribed '1939 - 1945'. The memorial is set upon a 2-stepped hexagonal plinth; the top step of which bears the names of the Fallen. The 21 names of those killed during the First World War are arranged in alphabetical order on the three front faces, whilst the 13 names of those killed during the Second World War are located on the three rear faces of the plinth.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 31 January 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 31 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/204823
War Memorials Register, accessed 31 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/28496

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].