The Boy Scouts War Memorial in Cannon Hill Park

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1432740
Date first listed:
16-Feb-2016
Statutory Address:
Queen's Ride, Cannon Hill Park, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B13 8RT

Map

Ordnance survey map of The Boy Scouts War Memorial in Cannon Hill Park
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1432740.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2020 at 15:43:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
Queen's Ride, Cannon Hill Park, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B13 8RT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP0632983590

Summary

First World War memorial, 1924.

Reasons for Designation

The Boy Scouts War Memorial in Cannon Hill Park is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice made by its members of the Scouting Movement in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant obelisk in the Classical style, designed in an unusual material, by William Haywood FRIBA; * Historical association: with the adjacent avenue of trees on Queen's Ride, each planted for one of the fallen Scouts; * Group value: standing in Cannon Hill Park (Grade II*).

History

The Boy Scouts War Memorial in Cannon Hill Park was unveiled on 27 July 1924 in memory of all of the local Boy Scouts who lost their lives in the First World War. The money was raised by the Old Scouts Association in 1921, to form a permanent memorial at the end of the avenue of trees which had been planted in 1920. Each tree in the avenue commemorates a named Scout. The obelisk was designed by Birmingham architect William Hayward (1877-1957) who lived nearby, and is said to have designed the Grade II-listed bridge over the lake in the park. A later inscription was added to commemorate those Scouts who lost their lives in the Second World War. The memorial was conserved in 2012 by Birmingham Museum Trust and Birmingham City Council.

William Haywood FRIBA (1877-1957) was in partnership with Herbert Tudor Buckland. Their work included the Royal Naval Hospital School at Holbrook, Suffolk (Grade II), college buildings in both Oxford and Cambridge, Carlisle Technical College, and university and school buildings in Birmingham including the Grade II-listed suite of lodges, gates and walls to the Birmingham University campus. Haywood was also responsible for the civic decorations for Birmingham’s 1937 Coronation celebrations. He taught civic design and town planning at Birmingham University (1918-43), and was a founder member of the Birmingham Civic Society in 1918, producing a number of planning schemes for the city.

Details

The memorial stands at the edge of Cannon Hill Park at the south-west end of Queen’s Ride, surrounded by a flowerbed with a path leading to the western face. It is within the Grade II* Cannon Hill Park: Queen’s Ride was a riding track laid out in 1897, modified in 1920 when the avenue of trees was planted to commemorate the fallen Scouts.

The tall, concrete, obelisk is triangular on plan, standing on a corniced block with scroll feet which in turn stands on another bigger, tapering, corniced pedestal with large scrolled feet. The memorial stands on a polygonal base.

The western face of the obelisk is decorated with the Toc H lantern cast in relief. The inscription below on the pedestal reads TO THE/ SCOUTS/ WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ AND THE/ WORLD WAR. The eastern face has the Scout fleur-de-lis in relief, with the inscription below PRO PATRIA/ 1914 – 1918/ 1939 – 1945. The northern face has a rose in relief: below this, the pedestal is decorated with the Scout fleur-de-lis with a scroll below containing the inscription BE PREPARED.

Sources

Websites
Geograph, Boy Scouts Memorial, accessed 13/01/2016 from http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2119753
War Memorials Online, accessed 13/01/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/106417
War Memorials Register, accessed 13/01/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/17526
War Memorials Register, accessed 13/01/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/17350

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top