Highworth War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1432880
Date first listed:
15-Feb-2016
Statutory Address:
The churchyard of St Michael's Church, Lechlade Road, Highworth, Swindon, SN6 7HF

Map

Ordnance survey map of Highworth War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1432880.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Jun-2020 at 19:45:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
The churchyard of St Michael's Church, Lechlade Road, Highworth, Swindon, SN6 7HF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Swindon (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Highworth
National Grid Reference:
SU2004992515

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Highworth War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Michael, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant lantern cross in the medieval style, depicting a First World War soldier and sailor; * Group value: with the Church of St Michael (Grade I).

History

In May 1919 a group of local ex-servicemen enquired of Highworth Town Council what plans there were to commemorate their fallen comrades. Following public meetings to discuss suggestions, the Minister of the Congregational Church proposed that a cross be erected in the churchyard of the parish church. A committee led the fundraising drive.

Highworth War Memorial was unveiled by Mrs James Arkell and dedicated by Canon Wrangham at a ceremony held on 10 April 1921, commemorating 39 local servicemen who died during the First World War. The base of the memorial had been built using stone from the old Tithe Barn that once stood in the town. After the Second World War further inscriptions were added to commemorate those who died in that conflict. Following restoration costing £2,000 in 2013, led by Highworth Historical Society, the memorial was re-dedicated on 3 May 2015.

Details

The war memorial stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Michael (Grade I). It is close to the west boundary of the churchyard bordered by Lechlade Road, from whence the church tower, including the faces of the war memorial clock, form the backdrop to the memorial.

The stone memorial, c5m tall, comprises a three-stepped base surmounted by an octagonal two-stage plinth and slim, octagonal, shaft bearing a lantern. A soldier and sailor are carved in the lantern. First World War names are carved on the upper stage of the plinth and Second World War names are carved on the lower stage. The memorial bears resemblance in structure and design to the nearby war memorial at Wroughton which is listed at Grade II.

All inscriptions are incised and painted in black enamel. The principal inscription on the front face of the plinth’s upper stage reads IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF THIS/ TOWN WHO LAID DOWN/ THEIR LIVES IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/. For the Second World War the dates 1939 – 1945 have been added below, to the lower stage. An inscription on the rear of the upper stage reads “THEY DIED/ THAT WE/ MIGHT LIVE” and the remaining two faces are ornamented with shields.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 December 2016.

Sources

Websites
Highworth Remembers, accessed 15/12/2015 from http://highworthremembers.co.uk/events/
Swindon Web, accessed 15/12/2015 from http://www.swindonweb.com/?m=2&s=2033&ss=2206&c=12955&t=Restored+For+Everlasting+Remembrance
War Memorials Online, accessed 16/12/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/188236
War Memorials Register, accessed 15/12/2015 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/2964

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top