Weighbridge and Weighbridge Office at Coventry Canal Basin

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1433094
Date first listed:
02-Mar-2016
Location Description:
Weighbridge and building on south side of entrance to Coventry Basin off St Nicholas Street, Coventry.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Weighbridge and Weighbridge Office at Coventry Canal Basin
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1433094 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 13:47:22.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Weighbridge and building on south side of entrance to Coventry Basin off St Nicholas Street, Coventry.
District:
Coventry (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP3326379549

Summary

A Weighbridge Office thought to date from after 1810, with associated C19 weighbridge.

Reasons for Designation

The Weighbridge and Weighbridge Office of post 1810 at Coventry Canal are listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: as a good surviving example of an early C19 Weighbridge Office, with good detailing; * Historic interest: for their association with the development of Coventry Canal, which was laid out by James Brindley; * Group value: with the surviving canal basin, warehouse and other canal structures.

History

The Coventry Canal Company was formed in 1768, and commissioned the engineer James Brindley to develop the canal which would connect Coventry with Fradley Junction, approximately 38 miles to the north. The basin at Coventry was completed in 1769, although the final sections of the canal were not finished until 1790.

The Weighbridge Office is thought to date from after 1810, and functioned as a toll office with weighbridges on either side, and machinery internally for the weighing of vehicles entering and leaving the basin. It is understood that there were originally two weighbridges; that to the north no longer survives.

Details

MATERIALS: The office building is constructed of brick with a slate roof, and the weighbridge is cast iron.

PLAN: The office has a wedge-shaped plan, with a curved facade facing the canal basin. The rectangular weighbridge is on the south side of the office, with adjacent gatepiers.

EXTERIOR: The building has a curved facade facing the canal basin to the east; this facade has a central timber door under a flat arch lintel with a central keystone. There is a dentil course around the whole building, which sits under a slate roof and the curved elevation has a tall chimney at its northern end.

To the south there is a large, probably C20 opening with concrete lintel and cill, and a smaller opening under a brick arch. There are large brick gatepiers with modern gates; the northern pier is attached to the office building.

The northern elevation has a door opening which has been altered to form a window, and a large window adjacent; both with flat arch lintels and keystones. There is a further small opening to the west.

South of the building is a rectangular cast iron weighbridge supplied by W & T Avery Ltd of London and Birmingham. An inscription on the plate identifies it as being capable of weighing ten tons.

INTERIOR: The building is understood to retain the weighbridge mechanism and balance bar internally, and has a cast iron fireplace with a brick surround, and dado height timber panelling.

Sources

Other
Coventry City Council: Coventry Canal Conservation Area Character Appraisal

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].