Werrington War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1433471
Date first listed:
23-Mar-2016
Statutory Address:
Church of St John the Baptist, Church Street, Werrington, Peterborough, PE4 6QE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1433471.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 03:52:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St John the Baptist, Church Street, Werrington, Peterborough, PE4 6QE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Peterborough (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TF1701203164

Summary

First World War Memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Werrington War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

* Artistic interest: the design of the memorial, from its broad hexagonal base, rising through its tapering octagonal shaft to a foliated cross, is simple, elegant and well proportioned. * Group Value: it has group value with the Grade I listed Church of St John the Baptist.



History

Werrington War Memorial was designed by the architects Traylen and Lenten and constructed by Charles T Gray of Walton, who also made the memorial at Eye. It was dedicated by the Bishop of Peterborough and unveiled by Brigadier-General Strong; the ceremony was reported in the Peterborough and Hunts Standard of March 11 1921.

Details

Werrington War Memorial is sited at the east corner of the churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist, and is accessible directly from the street through metal gates in the low stone churchyard wall. The memorial is made from Clipsham stone and consists of a foliated cross on a tall, slender octagonal column, rising form a square plinth. This appears to have two tiers, but the upper tier is formed by stone tablets set in a square around the base of the column. The plinth is set on a two stepped hexagonal base. The names of the 24 men who died in the First World War are inscribed on three sides of the plinth, while the side facing the road is inscribed with the following: IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF WERRINGTON WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918. The names of the 11 men who were killed in the Second World War are inscribed on the faces of the stone tablets set around the base of the column. On the face of the tablet above the commemorative inscription for the First World War are these words: THESE TABLETS WERE ADDED IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO DIED IN THE WAR 1939-1945.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 January 2017.

Sources

Websites
Northamptonshire Roll of Honour, accessed 12th Feb 2012 from http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Northamptonshire/Werrington.html
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/177344
War Memorials Register, accessed 12th Feb 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/names/listing/8435

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building is shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map: an octagonal column and square plinth rising from a stepped hexagonal base) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].