Sibsey War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1433508
Date first listed:
01-Apr-2016
Statutory Address:
St Margaret's Churchyard, Old Main Road, Sibsey, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE22 0RX

Map

Ordnance survey map of Sibsey War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1433508 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 11:20:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Margaret's Churchyard, Old Main Road, Sibsey, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE22 0RX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Sibsey
National Grid Reference:
TF3541850743

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Sibsey War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Margaret, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Group value: with the Grade I-listed Church of St Margaret and the scheduled and Grade II-listed churchyard cross.

History

Sibsey War Memorial was unveiled at 11.00am on 11 November 1921 by Private Arthur Covill, a regular soldier with the 1st Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment. The memorial was built by local monumental masons, Messrs Thomas Kent of Boston. The ceremony was led by the Reverend Cyril Vincent Camplin Gogan CF, and the Last Post was played by Sergeant Lamming of Spilsby. The inscription includes the names of those who died in the Second World War and must have been added at a later date. In 2005 the memorial was starting to lean, so remedial work was carried out to straighten and reset it.

Details

The war memorial is located in the churchyard of the Church of St Margaret (Grade I), to the west of the church and facing the Old Main Road. It is close to the remains of the churchyard cross (scheduled and Grade II-listed). The memorial is enclosed by chains suspended from posts on a low brick and concrete wall.

The memorial, of a light coloured stone, takes the form of a Latin cross with a bronze crucifixion fixed to its western face, rising from a square shaft that stands on a two-stage, square, plinth, on a two-stepped base. Grey slate plaques are fixed to the western faces of the plinth and steps.

The plaques are inscribed with silvered lettering. The principal dedicatory inscription on the west face of the plinth bears the inscription THIS/ MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED/ BY/ PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION/ TO COMMEMORATE/ THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919/ AND THE SECOND GREAT WAR/ 1939-1945/ ALL HONOUR TO THOSE/ WHO SERVED. Below this, on a sloping stone set on the top step of the base (added in 2015), are inscribed the 13 names of those who died in the First World War, with the dates 1914-1919. The lower stone has the names of those eight who died in the Second World War, with the dates 1939-1945.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 23 January 2017.

Sources

Books and journals
Credland, M, The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2014), 20, 156
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/149902
War Memorials Register, accessed 15/02/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/59347

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].