Weston Turville War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1433604
Date first listed:
18-Apr-2016
Statutory Address:
Junction of School Lane and Worlds End Lane, Weston Turville, Buckinghamshire, HP22 5SE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Weston Turville War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1433604.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 15:33:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
Junction of School Lane and Worlds End Lane, Weston Turville, Buckinghamshire, HP22 5SE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)
Parish:
Weston Turville
National Grid Reference:
SP8538810569

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Weston Turville War Memorial, which stands on the green at the junction of School Lane and Worlds End Lane, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified memorial cross; * Group value: with the Union Chapel and The Beeches, both Grade II-listed.

History

A war memorial committee of ex-servicemen was active during 1919, making arrangements for a suitable memorial in the village. In November 1919, Aylesbury Rural District Council gave the Parish Council permission to erect the memorial on the Green, and by January 1920 the cross was in place, within a railed enclosure (which has since been removed).

The memorial originally commemorated 20 local men who died in the First World War. Following the Second World War an inscription and the names of seven men who died in that conflict were added. In 2002 five names from the First World War and two from the Second were added and the memorial was re-dedicated on 10 November that year.

Details

Weston Turville War Memorial stands on the north side of a small green at the junction of Worlds End Lane and School Lane. It comprises a granite Celtic cross raised on a tapering plinth that stands on a square, two-stepped, base.

The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the plinth reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914 – 19/ (20 NAMES)/ “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT A MAN/ LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.” A small panel cut into the left face of the plinth contains the five First World War and two Second World War names added in 2002. A small stone block, standing on the lower step of the base, reads WORLD WAR 1939-1945/ (7 NAMES). All the inscriptions are in applied metal letters. All the names are listed with rank, in order of date of death.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 11 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/115264
War Memorials Register, accessed 17 February 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/8055
Weston Turville Historical Society, accessed 17/02/2016 from http://www.wthsoc.org.uk/war-memorial

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].