This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Bishopton War Memorial

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Bishopton War Memorial

List entry Number: 1433639

Location

High Street, Bishopton, Stockton-on-Tees, Darlington, TS21 1HB

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Darlington

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bishopton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Apr-2016

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

First World War memorial, 1923, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Bishopton War Memorial, which stands on the green at the junction of High Street and Church View, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Group value: with the Church of St Peter (Grade II).

History

Bishopton War Memorial was unveiled on 12 August 1923 by Colonel Thomlinson and dedicated by the Venerable Canon Derry, Archdeacon of Auckland. It commemorates 14 local servicemen who died in the First World War. Following the Second World War, the names of two men who died in that conflict were added.

Details

The memorial stands on a green to the west of the Church of St Peter (Grade II-listed) in central Bishopton. The Cornish granite memorial comprises a Celtic cross rising from a tapered, square, plinth, that stands on a square, three-stepped, base.

The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the plinth reads IN/ PROUD MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918. The 14 First World War names are listed on the side faces and to the rear the Second World War dedication reads AND OF THE FOLLOWING/ WHO DIED IN/ THE WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945./ (2 NAMES).



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project - Bishopton, accessed 18/02/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6431
War Memorials Online, accessed 7 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/159156
War Memorials Register, accessed 7 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/10163

National Grid Reference: NZ3647221265

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1433639 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 05:44:44.

End of official listing