Clapper Bridge carrying Ashfield Road/Wandels Lane across Danby Beck


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Location Description:
Bridge at NZ 68965 07829 on Ashfield Road/Wandels Lane, Castleton, Whitby, North Yorkshire.


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1433734.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 07:11:43.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Bridge at NZ 68965 07829 on Ashfield Road/Wandels Lane, Castleton, Whitby, North Yorkshire.
North Yorkshire
Scarborough (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:


Clapper bridge with piers of herring-bone-tooled sandstone, probably medieval in origin, rebuilt after the mid C18, possibly circa 1807 when the nearby mill was rebuilt. Strengthened in 2006 with a concealed reinforced concrete deck, this, and the overlying road structure, are not included in the listing.

Reasons for Designation

The clapper bridge, probably with medieval origins and rebuilt circa 1807, which carries Ashfield Road/Wandels Lane across Danby Beck, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Rarity: as a simple, multi-spanned clapper bridge lacking masonry parapets yet carrying a public road;

* Historic Interest: the bridge probably has medieval origins, as it is thought to to be on the route between Castleton and Howe Mill, a mill first documented in 1272;

* Architecture: for the combination of constructed masonry piers and abutments combined with the more primitive use of clapper stones rather than masonry arches.


The bridge is thought to be on the medieval route between Castleton and Howe Mill, the water-powered corn mill which served the settlement, being first documented in 1272. The mill was extensively rebuilt in 1807, suggesting the date that the bridge was also rebuilt with piers using herring-bone tooled stonework and reusing large untooled slabs from the earlier, probably medieval bridge for the deck. The herring-bone tooling suggests a rebuilding date sometime from the mid C18 and into the C19. In 2006, following a partial collapse, the bridge was repaired with the insertion of a reinforced concrete deck spanning the bridge, set above the clapper stones. This modern deck is concealed by the tarmac road surface and the flanking grass verges that extend over the bridge.


Clapper bridge, thought to have medieval origins, rebuilt sometime after the mid-C18, possibly circa 1807, and repaired in 2006.

MATERIALS: piers and abutments are of well-dressed herring-bone-tooled sandstone. The original bridge deck is formed from minimally-dressed large sandstone slabs.

FORM: the bridge has two, evenly spaced, tall, thin piers which are pointed towards the south, upstream side, and square ended facing the north, downstream side. The piers and abutments support large slabs forming the original deck; the edges of the deck are formed with dressed sandstone lintels into which are set iron clamps to hold timber fence posts for the fencing that forms the simple parapets to the bridge. The bridge is spanned by a reinforced concrete deck that is concealed and carries the tarmac road surface. Pursuant to s.1(5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the reinforced concrete deck and the overlying structure of the road are not of special architectural or historic interest.


Books and journals
Harrison, J K , Eight Centuries of Milling in North East Yorkshire, (2001), 186-187


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].