Sedgeberrow War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1433987

Date first listed: 18-Apr-2016

Statutory Address: Main Street, Sedgeberrow, Evesham, WR11 7UE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Sedgeberrow War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1433987 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2019 at 14:59:57.

Location

Statutory Address: Main Street, Sedgeberrow, Evesham, WR11 7UE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon (District Authority)

Parish: Sedgeberrow

National Grid Reference: SP0244638555

Summary

First World War Memorial, erected in 1919.

Reasons for Designation

Sedgeberrow War Memorial, situated opposite the churchyard gate of the church of St Mary the Virgin, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War; * Architectural interest: a well-executed stone Calvary; * Group value: with the Grade II*-listed church of St Mary the Virgin.

History

Sedgeberrow War Memorial was designed and executed by Messrs W and H Gardiner of Evesham. It was dedicated on 31 July 1919, and unveiled in September 1919. The unveiling ceremony was performed by Colonel G H Gordon, CMG, DSO, RA of Mansion House, Evesham.

In 2015 a project, funded by War Memorials Trust, was undertaken to clean the war memorial.

Details

First World War Memorial, erected in 1919.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located on a rising bank opposite the churchyard gate of the church of St Mary the Virgin (Grade II*). It consists of a Portland stone Calvary with canopy on a three stepped square base. The memorial is c 5m in height. The first step of the base has inscriptions which read: IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THOSE WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914-1919 (10 NAMES). The second step is incised with 1 name followed by: PRAY FOR THEIR SOULS THAT THEY MAY REST IN PEACE/ THIS CRUCIFIX/ IS ERECTED BY THE PARISHIONERS.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 July 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 1 March 2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/150008
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 July 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/72781
War Memorials Trust, Sedgeberrow entry , accessed 1 March 2016 from www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=1266
Other
Sedgeberrow Parish Magazine, No 248, August 1919

End of official listing