Stroud War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1434769
Date first listed:
06-Jul-2016
Statutory Address:
Park Gardens, Slad Road, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5 1RP

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1434769.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 03:14:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
Park Gardens, Slad Road, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5 1RP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Stroud
National Grid Reference:
SO8527205489

Summary

First World War memorial, 1935, with additions for later conflicts.

Reasons for Designation

Stroud War Memorial, which stands in Park Gardens, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an imposing and austere war memorial.

History

Sidney Park was a councillor and local businessman in Stroud; Park’s Drapery prominently occupied the corner of King Street and George Street and the family lived in a flat over the shop. Park’s only son, Herbert, who joined the Artists’ Rifles in 1916, was killed in France on 26 October 1917 in a training accident. He had been demonstrating the use of the Mills Bomb, a type of hand grenade. He was 23.

In October 1927 Councillor Park gave a piece of land to the north of Slad Road as a public garden, to be a memorial to his son and all those who fell during the First World War. At first there was no architectural monument: since 1920 Stroud’s residents had debated what form a civic war memorial should take. The town’s memorial was not built until 1935. It was unveiled on 23 June that year by the widow of a local soldier, assisted by two holders of the Victoria Cross. The memorial is now dedicated to those who fell in the First and Second World Wars, and commemorated the fallen of later conflicts including Northern Ireland: in October 2015 the dedication was adjusted to mark the dead of all conflicts subsequent to the First World War, regardless of location.

Details

Stroud War Memorial stands within Park Gardens on Slad Road. The memorial is positioned at the bottom of a slightly sloping hill just beside the footpath. Some 8m tall, it is built of Minchinhampton stone. The broad tapering column, square on plan, with clasping pilasters to each face, stands on a square stone base. The column is surmounted by a plain stone block

The inscription, incised and painted black on the front face of the memorial reads 1914 – 1918/ TO THE FALLEN./ “AT THE GOING DOWN/ OF THE SUN AND IN/ THE MORNING WE WILL/ REMEMBER THEM.”/ 1939 – 1945/ AND ALL/ SUBSEQUENT/ CAMPAIGNS.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.

Sources

Websites
Townley, C. (n.d.) Park Gardens: Stroud's Living War Memorial [online edition], accessed 16/03/2016 from http://www.stroudtown.gov.uk/documents/reports/park_gardens_leaflet.pdf
War Memorials Online, accessed 16/03/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/187641
War Memorials Register, accessed 10 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/30242
Other
“Stroud Memorial”, Gloucestershire Echo, 24 June 1935, p1

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].