Northenden War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1435101
Date first listed:
10-May-2016
Statutory Address:
Palatine Road, Northenden, Manchester, M22 4JT

Map

Ordnance survey map of Northenden War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1435101.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2020 at 14:05:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
Palatine Road, Northenden, Manchester, M22 4JT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ8282590067

Summary

First World War memorial, 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Northenden War Memorial, which stands on Palatine Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant war memorial cross.

History

Northenden War Memorial was unveiled on 20 May 1922 by Mrs Tatton of Wythensawe, assisted by Major CGC Hamilton. The war memorial committee raised the cost of £170 by public subscription, whilst the land was donated by Mr Thomas E Tatton JP and the foundations were prepared by Messrs W Neild and Sons. The memorial was designed and sculpted by Mr Hilton and Sons. It commemorates those local servicemen who died during the First World War. A drinking fountain added in March 1923 was removed at an unknown time. During the Second World War the original gates and railings were taken away. Following the Second World War the names of the men who fell in that conflict were added.

Details

MATERIALS: York stone, bronze.

DESCRIPTION: The York stone memorial is situated on the north side of the main road in Northenden, set back from the pavement in a small memorial garden and to the rear of the Northenden Social Club (which was also built just after the First World War, and is not listed). It comprises a c5m tall pillar, rectangular on plan, dying back to a wheel-head cross. The front face of the cross head bears a reversed sword carved in relief, either side of which on the cross shaft is blind arcading.

The cross shaft stands on a square plinth, that stands on a two-stepped base. A large bronze plaque fixed to the front face of the plinth records the principal dedicatory inscription TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF NORTHENDEN WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919/ (63 NAMES). Below this, on the top step of the base, a second bronze plaque reads 1939 THE SECOND WORLD WAR 1945/ (41 NAMES).

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: The memorial is approached from the road by small forecourt, a low step and crazy-paved path. The forecourt includes a bench and a litter bin, with modern railings enclosing part of the garden. These features are not of special interest.



This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22/06/2016

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 January 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/200448
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3235
Other
Northenden War Memorial Committee Minutes, Manchester City Library
Stockport Advertiser, 21 April 1922 and 28 April 1922

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].