Pulham St Mary War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1435134
Date first listed:
19-May-2016
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Mary the Virgin, The Street, Pulham St Mary, Norfolk, IP21 4RD

Map

Ordnance survey map of Pulham St Mary War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1435134.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 16:15:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Mary the Virgin, The Street, Pulham St Mary, Norfolk, IP21 4RD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Pulham St. Mary
National Grid Reference:
TM2123185233

Summary

First World War memorial with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Pulham St Mary War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified Celtic cross memorial; * Group value: with the Church of St Mary (Grade I-listed).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was raised at Pulham St Mary as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War.

Faculty was granted in 1918 for the war memorial to be erected in the churchyard. It commemorates 23 men from the parish who were killed during the First World War. Of these, the names of three men were added to the memorial in 2008. The names of six men killed in the Second World War were added to the memorial at some point after 1945.

Details

Pulham St Mary War Memorial is located at the southern edge of the churchyard of the Church of St Mary (Grade I-listed). It stands in an elevated position, with the front face of the memorial visible from the main road below. The Portland stone Celtic cross rises from a slightly tapered plinth, that stands on a three-stepped base. The cross head is ornamented with a central boss.

A small Maltese cross is incised into the stone on the front (south side) of the plinth, which also bears the incised dedicatory inscription TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN LOVING MEMORY/ OF THOSE IN THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 1918.

The east and west sides of the plinth, and the east face of the top step, bear the names of those killed in the First World War. On the north side of the plinth there is an inscription reading ALSO OF/ THOSE WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES IN/ THE 1939-1945 WAR/ (6 NAMES).



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 23 January 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/103902
War Memorials Register, accessed 30/03/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20144
War Memorials Trust, Grants Showcase, accessed 30/03/2016 from http://www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=473

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].