Binbrook War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1435414
Date first listed:
06-Jun-2016
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary and St Gabriel, Louth Road, Binbrook, Lincolnshire, LN8 6BX

Map

Ordnance survey map of Binbrook War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1435414.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 03:07:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary and St Gabriel, Louth Road, Binbrook, Lincolnshire, LN8 6BX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Binbrook
National Grid Reference:
TF2118093917

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Binbrook War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary and St Gabriel, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Group value: with the Church of St Mary and St Gabriel (Grade II-listed) and the scheduled and Grade II*-listed Churchyard Cross.

History

Binbrook War Memorial was dedicated on Easter Sunday, 27 March 1921. It was the work of local memorial masons Messrs Mawr Bros of Louth, who were responsible for numerous other war memorials in the region, including Conisholme and Welton Le Wold. The unveiling was carried out by Mr Walter George Moncaster and Mr Frank Soulby, former servicemen, at a ceremony led by local clergy and attended by villagers who had processed from the old Market Place. After the Second World War, additional names were inscribed onto the memorial.

Details

The war memorial is located to the south of the Church of St Mary and St Gabriel (Grade II-listed) facing the road and in close proximity to the scheduled and Grade II*-listed Churchyard Cross. It is of Cornish Granite and takes the form of a rough-hewn Celtic cross ornamented with a reversed sword, standing 2.7m in height. The cross rises from a tapering plinth, square on plan, that stands on a three-stepped, square, base.

The plinth is inscribed on three sides with black metal lettering. On the south side the inscription reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND TO THE IMMORTAL MEMORY/ OF THE GLORIOUS DEAD/ CONNECTED WITH BINBROOK, WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR/ KING AND COUNTRY IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914-1919/ AND WHOSE NAMES ARE INSCRIBED HEREON/ “LEST WE FORGET”/ with below on the top step of the base AND IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE WAR OF 1939-1945. Names are inscribed on the eastern and western sides of the plinth and on the sides of the upper step of the base.

The entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10 June 2016.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 23 January 2017.

Sources

Books and journals
Credland, M, The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2014), 20-1, 51
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/207659
War Memorials Register, accessed 25/03/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/53953

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].