First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reasons for Designation
Chevington and Broomhill War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of St John’s Church, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a tall and imposing memorial cross.
Chevington War Memorial was unveiled on 27 November 1921 by Fred J Hemsley. He had served the course of the First World War in the rank of Private. The memorial cost £400, raised by public subscription, and it was dedicated by the vicar, Reverend W King. The designer and sculptor was JP Whittle of Amble. The memorial commemorates 96 local servicemen who died during the First World War. Following the Second World War, the details of 34 who died in that conflict were added. The memorial was restored in 2003, when it was re-dedicated by the Bishop of Newcastle.
JP Whittle, monumental mason, was responsible for a number of war memorials including tablets in churches in Amble and the Embleton Memorial Cross.
The tall memorial stands in the north-east corner of the churchyard of St John’s Church. Of Heworth stone, it comprises a Latin cross with a moulded foot rising from the top of a tapering cross shaft. The broad foot of the cross shaft, standing on an octagonal pedestal, is ornamented on four sides with wreaths carved in low relief. The pedestal is on top of a plinth, square on plan, which stands on a stepped base.
Four shield-shaped marble plaques are mounted on opposing faces of the pedestal below a string of laurel leaves, of which three bear the inscriptions DULCE ET/ DECORUM EST/ PRO PATRIA MORI. The principal dedicatory inscription, on a square marble plaque mounted on the front face of the plinth, reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF/ CHEVINGTON/ AND/ BROOMHILL DISTRICT/ WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918.
The rear face of the plinth bears the inscription LORD OF HOSTS/ BE WITH US YET/ LEST WE FORGET/ LEST WE FORGET. The commemorated First World War names are recorded on marble plaques on either side of the plinth, with below on each side a sloping plaque recording the Second World War names. The memorial is enclosed by a low stone kerb with low posts that carry a metal rail.
The List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14 June 2016.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.