Cowshill War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1436799

Date first listed: 29-Jul-2016

Statutory Address: Junction of the A689 and B6295, Cowshill, County Durham, DL13 1AD

Map

Ordnance survey map of Cowshill War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1436799 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2019 at 03:32:50.

Location

Statutory Address: Junction of the A689 and B6295, Cowshill, County Durham, DL13 1AD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Stanhope

National Grid Reference: NY8527240867

Summary

First World War memorial, 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Cowshill War Memorial, which stands at the roadside on the B6295, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a cross decorated with carved interlace in the Celtic style.

History

Cowshill War Memorial was unveiled on 27 May 1922 by Lt-Col KJW Leather, 20th Battalion Durham Light Infantry, and dedicated by the vicar of Heathery Cleugh, Reverend J Harrison. The site was given by JJ Peart of Bents House, Cowshill, whilst the memorial cross cost £170. It commemorates seven local servicemen from Lanehead Ward, including JM Peart, who died during the First World War. Following the Second World War the names of three men who died in that conflict were added.

Details

The memorial stands in a small stone-walled enclosure on the north side of the B6295, overlooking Weardale and with extensive views of the surrounding moorland. At c410m above sea level it is said to be the highest, and perhaps most isolated, war memorial in County Durham.

The stone memorial takes the form of the Iona cross. The front face of the cross head is ornamented with an interlace pattern carved in low relief. Below on the cross shaft is carved 1914/ LEST/ WE/ FORGET/ 1918, interspersed with decorative flowers. The cross shaft rises from a rough-hewn plinth that stands on a low square step.

The front face of the plinth bears the principal dedicatory inscription IN HONOUR/ OF THE MEN OF/ THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ (7 NAMES). To the left of the text a sheathed sword, encircled by a wreath and appearing to be hung up over the plinth by the sword belt, is carved in low relief. In front of the low step a small rectangular stone is inscribed 1939 – 1945/ (3 NAMES).



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 15/06/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6769
War Memorials Online, accessed 7 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/147486
War Memorials Register, accessed 7 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/10403

End of official listing