Embleton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1436906
Date first listed:
05-Aug-2016
Statutory Address:
Embleton Cemetery, Spitalford, Embleton, Northumberland, NE66 3DW

Map

Ordnance survey map of Embleton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1436906 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 01:07:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
Embleton Cemetery, Spitalford, Embleton, Northumberland, NE66 3DW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Craster
National Grid Reference:
NU2327521678

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Embleton War Memorial, which stands in Embleton Cemetery, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an unusual form of memorial cross, its octagonal plan effectively used to commemorate the dead of eight villages within the parish; * Group value: with the Grade II-listed Memorial To Norwegian Sailors On North Side Of Embleton Cemetery (1917).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Embleton War Memorial was unveiled at an ecumenical service on 24 July 1921 by Viscount Grey of Falloden, in commemoration of 52 local servicemen who died during the First World War. It was dedicated by Revered FC Paul. Designed by Messrs Knowles, Oliver and Leeson of Newcastle, carved by JP Whittle of Amble, and erected by JG Green and Sons of Warkworth, the memorial was funded by public subscription. Following the Second World War the details of 11 men who died in that conflict were added: these changes were unveiled on 25 September 1949 by Captain JS Salter DSO (related to Viscount Grey by marriage).

Messrs Knowles, Oliver and Leeson also designed the Grade II-listed war memorial at Cullercoats, whilst JG Green and Sons were responsible for Denwick War Memorial (Alnwick) (Grade II-listed) and Compton Abdale War Memorial (Gloucs). JP Whittle carved a number of war memorials, predominantly tablets, but also the freestanding memorial cross at Chevington (Grade II).

Details

The memorial stands in Embleton Cemetery, not far from the Grade II-listed headstone marking the grave of the crew members of Pollux, a Norwegian steamer torpedoed by a German submarine in 1917. The tall cross of Greenlaw Quarry stone is octagonal in section, with cross arms that only slightly project from the shaft. The base of the cross shaft swells slightly to form a foot, the front face of which is carved with a blind arch. The recessed face of the arch is inscribed with the principal dedicatory inscription TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN GRATEFUL/ AND LASTING/ REMEMBRANCE OF/ THE MEN OF THE/ ECCLESIASTICAL/ PARISH · EMBLETON/ WHO FELL IN/ THE WARS OF/ 1914 · 1918/ 1939 · 1945/ ERECTED BY/ THE PARISHIONERS. A similar blind arch to the rear is inscribed LEST/ WE/ FORGET.

The cross rises from an octagonal plinth, which stands on a low octagonal step. Each face of the plinth records the commemorated names, organised by village. Second World War names have been added, following on from the original First World War names. The dedications are EMBLETON/ (12 NAMES), BRUNTON/ (3 NAMES), STAMFORD/ (5 NAMES), CHRISTON BANK/ (2 NAMES), CRASTER/ (16 NAMES), NEWTON BY THE SEA/ (8 NAMES), FALLODEN/ (1 NAME), DUNSTAN/ (5 NAMES).



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 20/06/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7105
War Memorials Online, accessed 9 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/225184
War Memorials Register, accessed 9 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33715

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].