Wilstone War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Junction of New Road and Tring Road, Wilstone, Tring, Hertfordshire, HP23 4NU


Ordnance survey map of Wilstone War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1437024 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 20:29:03.


Statutory Address:
Junction of New Road and Tring Road, Wilstone, Tring, Hertfordshire, HP23 4NU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dacorum (District Authority)
Tring Rural
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial. Erected 1921.

Reasons for Designation

Wilstone First World War Memorial, erected in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: as a well-crafted memorial formed of a Celtic cross and shaft enriched by carved interlace and knotwork; * Group value: with the adjacent Grade II-listed C17 cottage.


The aftermath of the First World War saw a huge wave of public commemoration with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. One such memorial was erected in 1921 to commemorate nine residents of Wilstone who died during the conflict. It was manufactured by J W Wood and Son and built by a stone mason, Mr Hobbs of Tring, at a cost of £133 1s 4d. The memorial was unveiled on 2nd October 1921 by Captain G M Brown of Tring followed by service where the Long Marston brass band and the RAF Halton band sounded the Reveille and the Last Post.

During the Second World War the railings surrounding the memorial were removed as part of the war effort. They were later replaced with a chain link fence. The memorial was renovated in 1993 and again in 2006 when the masonry was cleaned, the joints re-pointed, the lettering re-painted, and the surrounding fence posts repaired.


First World War memorial. Erected in 1921.

MATERIALS: carved from Cornish granite and Derbyshire Gritstone.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial stands on a green at a junction near the centre of the village adjacent to Manor Farm and St Cross Church. The memorial comprises a Cornish granite cross with Celtic head and a tapering shaft. It rises from a trapezoidal two stepped plinth and a square two stepped Derbyshire Gritstone base. The cross is enriched by carved interlace and knotwork. On the W face of the shaft and plinth is the inscription: TO THE/ GLORY/ OF/ GOD/ AND IN/ MEMORY OF/ WILSTONE/ MEN WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES/ FOR KING AND/ COUNTRY/ 1914-1918./ (NAMES).

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 12 January 2017.


Roll of Honour, accessed 15 June 2016 from http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Hertfordshire/Wilstone.html
War Memorials Online, accessed 12 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/121346
War Memorials Register, accessed 15 June 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/1164
War Memorials Trust, accessed 15 June 2016 from http://www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=587


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building is shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].