Greenhead Memorial Cross

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1437147
Date first listed:
05-Aug-2016
Statutory Address:
B6318, Greenhead, Northumberland, CA8 7HD

Map

Ordnance survey map of Greenhead Memorial Cross
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1437147 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 01:04:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
B6318, Greenhead, Northumberland, CA8 7HD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Greenhead
National Grid Reference:
NY6601065381

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Greenhead Memorial Cross, which stands on the B6318 to the north of the Church of St Cuthbert, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant memorial cross in Portland stone; * Group value: with the Church of St Cuthbert and the Memorial Drinking Fountain (both Grade II-listed).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Greenhead Memorial Cross was unveiled at an ecumenical service on 13 November 1920 by Colonel EPA Riddell CMG DSO. It commemorates 20 local servicemen who died during the First World War. The memorial was funded by public subscription. Following the Second World War the names of nine men who died in that conflict were added.

Details

MATERIALS: Portland stone cross, sandstone base.

DESCRIPTION: The memorial stands at the roadside to the north of the Church of St Cuthbert (Grade II-listed) and adjacent to the Grade II-listed Memorial Drinking Fountain (1865, in memory of John Blenkinsop Coulson). It is within the Frontiers of the Roman Empire (Hadrian's Wall) World Heritage Site Buffer Zone.

Approximately 5m tall, the memorial takes the form of a slender early-medieval cross with a hemispherical boss at the centre of the cross arms and ornament outlining the cross shaft. The moulded foot of the cross shaft rises from a low, tapering, pedestal, that stands on a two-stepped base.

The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the base reads TO THE IMMORTAL MEMORY OF THE/ MEN FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/ IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR/ KING AND COUNTRY. The commemorated First World War names are recorded to the sides of the pedestal. A small stone plaque reclining on the steps to the front reads 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: The memorial is enclosed with a hedge to the rear and, to the front, curving low stone walls that end in dwarf piers at the entrance to the enclosure.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 28/06/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7293
War Memorials Online, accessed 9 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/177346
War Memorials Register, accessed 9 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33940

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].