Kings Worthy War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1437417
Date first listed:
07-Oct-2016
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, London Road, Kings Worthy, Hampshire, SO23 7QL

Map

Ordnance survey map of Kings Worthy War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1437417 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 22:40:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, London Road, Kings Worthy, Hampshire, SO23 7QL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Kings Worthy
National Grid Reference:
SU4929532350

Summary

First World War memorial, erected in 1918.

Reasons for Designation

Kings Worthy War Memorial, erected in 1918, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War; * Architectural interest: an elegant granite wheel-head cross with carved Celtic-style decorative details; * Group value: with the Church of St Mary (Grade II*) and Grade II-listed tombs in the churchyard.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Kings Worthy as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Kings Worthy War Memorial was commissioned by Col and Mrs Bryce Stewart whose son was killed in action in Mesopotamia in 1916. It was erected in 1918 as a permanent memorial to their son Lieutenant Bryce Stewart and four local servicemen who fell in the First World War.

In 2013 a further ten names of the fallen from the First World War were added to the war memorial including four sons of the Rev Frances Henry Baring, a former Rector of Kings Worthy.

Details

MATERIALS: granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a wheel-head cross surmounting a tapering shaft both of which have carved Celtic-style knotwork and ball design on the front face. The cross rises from a tapering plinth, square on plan, set on a single-stepped base.

The inscriptions on the memorial are formed in painted lead lettering. The inscription on the north-east face of the plinth reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN BELOVED MEMORY OF/ BRYCE STEWART/ LIEUT 2ND BATTN SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS/ KILLED IN ACTION AT SANNA-I-YAT/ MESOPOTAMIA DURING THE OPERATIONS/ FOR THE RELIEF OF KUT/ ON THE 22ND APRIL,1916,/ AGED 22 YEARS.

The north-west face reads IN HONOURED MEMORY OF/ THOSE MEN FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO ALSO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ (NAMES). Further names were added to the north-west and south-east faces.

On the front face of the base a further inscription reads "WHEN CHRIST, WHO IS OUR LIFE, SHALL APPEAR/ THEN SHALL YE ALSO APPEAR WITH HIM IN GLORY."

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 9 June 2016 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/136661
War Memorials Register, accessed 9 June 2016 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/49979
War Memorials Trust, accessed 9 June 2016 from www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=1012

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].