St Stephen’s Church War Memorial, Lewisham
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: St Stephen’s Church War Memorial, Lewisham
List entry Number: 1437645
Church of St Stephen, St Stephen's Grove, Lewisham, Greater London, SE13 5AF
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: Greater London Authority
District Type: London Borough
Parish: Non Civil Parish
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 31-Aug-2016
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
First World War memorial, unveiled on 3 September 1921.
Reasons for Designation
St Stephen’s Church War Memorial, unveiled 3 September 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a well-executed Portland stone Calvary cross; * Group value: with the Church of St Stephen (Grade II).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at St Stephen’s Church as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The cross was unveiled on 3 September 1921 by Lieut-Col Eric Ball. The service was led by the Rev H Baron Dickinson and the dedication was given by the Bishop of Woolwich.
MATERIALS: Portland stone.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial at St Stephen’s Church comprises a hooded Calvary cross with a carved figure of Christ. The tapered shaft has a collar and is set upon an octagonal plinth which is inscribed: 1914 – 1918.
This is set upon a three-stepped base. The top step is inscribed: FORGET NOT ON ENTERING/ THIS CHURCH THOSE WHO/ LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY. The middle step is inscribed: REQUIESCANT IN PACE THANKS BE TO GOD WHO GIVETH THE VICTORY.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.
Imperial War Museum: War Memorials Register, accessed 6 July 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/12268
Lewisham War Memorials, accessed 6 July 2016 from http://lewishamwarmemorials.wikidot.com/memorial:lewisham-st-stephen-ww1-war-memorial
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 November 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/253626
National Grid Reference: TQ3831575775
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1437645 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 06:33:13.
End of official listing