Broughton Gifford War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1437698
Date first listed:
30-Aug-2016
Statutory Address:
Junction of The Street and Melksham Lane, Broughton Gifford, Melksham, Wiltshire, SN12 8LX

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1437698.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 04:39:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
Junction of The Street and Melksham Lane, Broughton Gifford, Melksham, Wiltshire, SN12 8LX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Broughton Gifford
National Grid Reference:
ST8755464086

Summary

First World War memorial, designed by Messrs W Webb and Sons of Chippenham, unveiled on 22 May 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Broughton Gifford War Memorial, unveiled 22 May 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified obelisk memorial.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Broughton Gifford as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The money for the memorial was raised by subscription from people in the village and it was built on common land. Designed and erected by Messrs W Webb and Sons of Chippenham, it cost £300. The memorial was unveiled on 22 May 1920 by Mrs Browne of Gifford Hall and it commemorates the 23 men who fell during the First World War and 129 men who fought and returned.

The names of six local servicemen who fell in the Second World War were added at a later date.

In 2014 the memorial was repaired and conserved with the help of grant funding from War Memorials Trust.

Details

MATERIALS: stone obelisk, iron railings.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial consists of an obelisk with a pediment set on a tapering square plinth. The whole is raised on a six-stepped base. The First World War inscriptions are rendered in attached lead letters.

The base of the obelisk bears the inscription which reads: THIS MEMORIAL / IS ERECTED BY / THE PARISH OF / BROUGHTON GIFFORD / IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF / ALL THOSE MEN WHO / AT THEIR COUNTRY’S CALL / LEFT THEIR HOMES IN THE / VILLAGE TO TAKE THEIR / PART IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918.

On the pediment immediately below this is inscribed: THESE GAVE THEIR LIVES and on the other faces of the pediment is the inscription: THESE ALSO SERVED. Below these inscriptions are the lists of names on the plinth.

The top step of the base has a further inscription which reads: “YE THAT LIVE ON ‘MID’ ENGLISH PASTURES GREEN / REMEMBER US, AND THINK WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN”.

On the step below this is a metal plaque commemorating the six servicemen who fell in the Second World War with the quote: “IN ALL THESE THINGS MORE THAN CONQUERORS / THROUGH HIM THAT LOVED US" Rom.viii.35ff.

The memorial is enclosed by iron railings and furnished with an entrance gate.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 12/07/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/234628
War Memorials Register, accessed 12/07/2016 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/24264
War Memorials Trust, accessed 12 July 2016 from www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=1220
Other
The Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette (27 May 1920), page 7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].