Tilmanstone War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1437924
Date first listed:
15-Sep-2016
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
Upper Street, Tilmanstone, Deal, Kent, CT14 0JQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Tilmanstone War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1437924 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 15:40:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
Upper Street, Tilmanstone, Deal, Kent, CT14 0JQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Tilmanstone
National Grid Reference:
TR3014051280

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled 9 October 1921, with a further name added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Tilmanstone War Memorial, unveiled 9 October 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a simple yet striking memorial cross in Portland stone; * Group value: with The Ravens (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Tilmanstone as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by eight members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial is a Cross of Sacrifice, a design by Sir Reginald Blomfield widely incorporated in Imperial (later Commonwealth) War Graves Commission cemeteries and for town and village memorials.

It was unveiled on 9 October 1921 by Vice Admiral (Later Admiral of the Fleet) Sir Roger John Brownlow Keyes and dedicated by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Randall Thomas Davidson.

Following the Second World War, the name of one who fell in that war was also added.

Details

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a Latin cross surmounting a tapering shaft bearing a metal Sword of Sacrifice. The shaft is set upon an octagonal plinth upon a single-step base.

On the front face of the plinth the inscription in black painted lettering reads: IN GRATEFUL/ REMEMBRANCE/ OF THE MEN/ OF TILMANSTONE/ WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES FOR/ THEIR COUNTRY/ 1914 – 1918. The names of those who fell in the First World War are recorded on the other plinth faces on either side of the front face.

Around the base of the plinth is inscribed: THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

The inscription on the base reads: 1939 – 1945 followed by the name of one who fell in that conflict.

Sources

Websites
Tilmanstone War Memorial, accessed 21 July 2016 from http://www.doverwarmemorialproject.org.uk/Casualties/MoreMemorials/Areas/Tilmanstone/Tilmanstone.htm
War Memorials Online, accessed 12 July 2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/133216?search=search_map%3Fsearch_value%3Dtilmanstone
War Memorials Register, accessed 12 July 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/1583
Other
The Dover Express and East Kent News, 14 October 1921

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].