Selworthy War Memorial Cross

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1438280
Date first listed:
27-Oct-2016
Statutory Address:
c40m to the west of the Church of All Saints, Selworthy, Somerset, TA24 8TP

Map

Ordnance survey map of Selworthy War Memorial Cross
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1438280 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jul-2019 at 21:46:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
c40m to the west of the Church of All Saints, Selworthy, Somerset, TA24 8TP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Selworthy
National Park:
EXMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SS9194346815

Summary

First World War memorial, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Selworthy War Memorial Cross, which stands at the roadside in central Selworthy, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant memorial cross in the medieval style; * Group value: with the Church of All Saints (Grade I-listed) and a number of Grade II-listed buildings in close proximity.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Selworthy as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by eight members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was in place by 1929, when it was mapped by the Ordnance Survey on the 1:2500 County Series map of Somerset. Following the Second World War the names of eight men who died in that conflict were added.

Details

The tall stone memorial cross stands on a raised paved platform at the roadside, to the west of the Church of All Saints (Grade I-listed) and in close proximity to a number of Grade II-listed buildings, in the Holnicote Estate (National Trust). It takes the form of an equal-armed cross at the top of a tapering shaft, that stands on an octagonal pedestal. That stands on an octagonal two-stepped base.

The First World War dedication and names are recorded on a bronze plaque fixed to the front face of the upper step, reading TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE GREAT WAR/ (8 NAMES) with the dates 1914 1918 either side of the column of names. The Second World War plaque, fixed to the front face of the lower step, repeats this dedication with the dates 1939 1945 either side of the column of names.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 15 March 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 05/01/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/149134
War Memorials Register, accessed 15 March 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/1334
Other
Ordnance Survey 1:2500 County Series, Somerset (1929 Edn).

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].