East Knoyle War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
East Knoyle War Memorial, Church Road, East Knoyle, Salisbury, SP3 6AE


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1438366.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 03:45:44.


Statutory Address:
East Knoyle War Memorial, Church Road, East Knoyle, Salisbury, SP3 6AE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
East Knoyle
National Grid Reference:


A First World War memorial, unveiled on 26 September 1920, designed by Herbert Maryon (1874-1965), of University College, Reading, with additions for later conflicts.

Reasons for Designation

East Knoyle War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20 and C21; * Design: a well-executed stone cross.


The memorial was set up in the aftermath of the First World War, part of the great wave of commemoration across the country following the end of hostilities. Subscriptions were raised for a memorial scheme, which included £1000 donated by the Trustees of the Seymour Estate, and £450 by the public. In addition to paying for the costs of the war memorial, the funds were used to extend the village hall and improve its facilities. The memorial was designed by Herbert Maryon, then a teacher of handicrafts in the School of Art at University College, Reading, who had run machine working courses for munitions workers during the war. Maryon would later join the British Museum as a technical and conservation adviser, earning the CBE for his work on the Sutton Hoo treasure. The memorial was unveiled in a ceremony on 26 September 1920 by General Lord Rawlinson (1864-1925), who had commanded the British Fourth Army at the Battle of the Somme, and was about to leave to take up the post of Commander in Chief, India.

After the Second World War, the names of the fallen from the village who died in that conflict were added to the memorial. The name of one soldier who fell in the C21 conflict in Iraq was later added to the memorial.


A First World War memorial, unveiled on 26 September 1920, designed by Herbert Maryon (1874-1965), of University College, Reading, with additions for later conflicts.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: A small wheel cross on a slender, tapering shaft circa 16ft (4.8m) high, on a square plinth, all set on a three-stepped square base. The main face of the plinth is inscribed TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE/ MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO MADE THE SUPREME/ SACRIFICE IN THE GREAT/ WAR 1914-1918. AND IN/ THE WORLD WAR 1939 - 1945.


To the right the plinth is inscribed 1914 - 1918 (NAMES) with the names of the 20 men who lost their lives during the First World War.

The rear face is inscribed 1939-1945 (NAMES), with the names of the 12 fallen from that conflict.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 December 2016.


War Memorials Online, accessed 16/12/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/235438
War Memorials Register, accessed 03/08/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/23915
East Knoyle war memorial unveiled by Lord Rawlinson, Western Gazette, Friday 1 October 1920


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].