Horncliffe War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1438695
Date first listed:
18-Oct-2016
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
Main Street, Horncliffe, Northumberland, TD15 2XW

Map

Ordnance survey map of Horncliffe War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1438695 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 01:20:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
Main Street, Horncliffe, Northumberland, TD15 2XW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Horncliffe
National Grid Reference:
NT9300249892

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Horncliffe War Memorial, which stands on Main Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a richly ornamented cross in the early medieval style.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Horncliffe as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled on 19 September 1920 by Field Marshall Viscount Allenby and dedicated by Reverend WW Charlton (Allenby’s brother lived locally and the Field Marshal was visiting the district on holiday). The memorial commemorates 16 local servicemen who died in the First World War. It was provided by J and J Young of Norham, whilst Mr G Purves of Horncliffe laid the concrete base. The memorial was funded by public subscription. Following the Second World War the name of one man who died in that conflict was added.

The memorial stood immediately outside the Presbyterian Church (not listed) on Main Street. This was sold in 2003 and in 2004 the memorial was moved circa 10m along the road to stand outside the United Reformed Church.

The inscribed names on the plinth had been covered by a metal plate on which the details were repeated. In early 2016 this plate was refurbished and removed. The original names underneath were re-cut and re-painted. The dedicatory inscription was also re-furbished and the cross head, that had developed cracks and was unsafe, was replaced (carved by Mike Viaena of Roluna Stone). These works were funded by Berwick Preservation Trust.

Details

The tall Red Doddington sandstone memorial stands outside Berwick United Reformed Church (not listed) on Main Street, Horncliffe. It takes the form of a cross in the early medieval style, the front surface of which is carved in elaborate interlace patterns. To the foot of the cross shaft the principal dedicatory inscription reads IN/ PROUD AND/ LOVING/ MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF/ HORNCLIFFE/ AND DISTRICT/ WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918.

The cross shaft rises from a tapering plinth that has a moulded foot and which stands on a stone step with a concrete base. The inscription on the front face of the plinth bears the 16 names of the fallen from the First World War. The foot of the plinth carries the quotation “GREATER LOVE/ HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS/ LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.” with below on the riser of the step 1939 – 1945/ (1 NAME).



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 12/08/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7670
War Memorials Online, accessed 9 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/90880
War Memorials Register, accessed 9 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33471

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].