Iveston War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1438711
Date first listed:
06-Oct-2016
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
Iveston Lane, Iveston, County Durham, DH8 7TD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1438711.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2020 at 16:59:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
Iveston Lane, Iveston, County Durham, DH8 7TD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ1376150344

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Iveston War Memorial, which stands on the green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a richly ornamented cross in the Celtic style.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Iveston as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by nine members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled on Good Friday, 1920 by Captain G O Harper of Consett. It cost £180, raised by public subscription: the memorial cross was designed and made by Messrs Ayton and Sons of Benfieldside, whilst railings (now lost) were erected by Mr T Armstrong of Iveston. The St Ives’ Stone, reputed to be the stone from which St Ives, an early missionary, preached and which gave the village its name, was set inside the memorial enclosure. Following the Second World War the names of four men who died in that conflict were added.

W Ayton and Sons were also responsible for war memorials in the region including those at Greencroft and Burnopfield (both Grade II-listed) and Shotley Bridge.

Details

The memorial stands on the green to the south side of Ivestone Lane. It takes the form of a Celtic cross in granite, c3m tall. The front face of the cross is decorated with complex interlace patterns carved in relief. The cross shaft rises from a tapering pedestal that stands on a stone step. The memorial cross is enclosed by a square stone kerb that once carried railings.

The principal dedicatory inscription in the front face of the pedestal reads: ERECTED BY THE/ INHABITANTS OF THE VILLAGE/ TO THE ETERNAL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR KING & COUNTRY/ DURING THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918. The First World War names are listed on the pedestal sides. The inscription on the front riser of the step reads 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).

The St Ives’ Stone stands in front of the cross in the memorial enclosure. The enclosure is defined by plain metal bars carried on coursed stone piers, with a gate to the front.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 15/08/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7757
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 November 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/253795
War Memorials Register, accessed 7 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/41764

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].