Knarsdale War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1438722
Date first listed:
18-Oct-2016
Statutory Address:
The churchyard, St Jude's Church, Off the A689, Knarsdale, Slaggyford, CA8 7PB

Map

Ordnance survey map of Knarsdale War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1438722 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 01:53:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
The churchyard, St Jude's Church, Off the A689, Knarsdale, Slaggyford, CA8 7PB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Knaresdale with Kirkhaugh
National Grid Reference:
NY6786854270

Summary

First World War memorial, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Knarsdale War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of St Jude’s Church, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant memorial in the Classical style incorporating a carving of a sheathed sword symbolising the end of conflict.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Knarsdale as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by five members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was provided by Messrs Beattie and Co of Carlisle and paid for through public subscription. Following the Second World War the names of two men who died in that conflict were added.

The firm of masons, Messrs Beattie and Co, was responsible for many war memorials in the north of England and in Scotland, some of which are Grade II-listed including those at Corbridge, Newbrough, and Birtley.

Details

The tall granite memorial, circa 4m high, stands in the NE corner of the churchyard of St Jude’s Church (not listed). It takes the form of a Celtic cross that stands on the corniced top of a tall pedestal, square on plan. The pedestal stands on a two-stage base. The memorial is enclosed by a low square kerb that carries an iron rail on metal corner posts.

The front face of the cross is ornamented with a sheathed sword carved in relief, hung from the wheel-head by its sword belt. The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the pedestal reads IN/ HONOUR OF THE FOLLOWING/ WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ FOR KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ (5 NAMES)/ “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN/ THIS THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE/ FOR HIS FRIENDS.” Below this, at the foot of the pedestal, the dates 1914-1918 are carved in low relief. The front face of the upper stage of the base is inscribed ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION. To one side of the pedestal the Second World War dedication reads 1939 – 1945/ (2 NAMES).



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 15/08/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7807
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 November 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/253793
War Memorials Register, accessed 9 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/34203

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].